joined:June 10, 2006
I recently noticed a blog created on a subdomain of blognows.com which has the same name as the company for which I work.
For a month or so, at least 3 new articles are being posted every week on that site. The site look very minimalistic, but strangely enough, there is no adsense or other ad units in sight. I am a bit surprised by this website that popped up out of nowhere, and I am not sure how to react.
On the one hand, this site has some traits that make it look suspiciously spammy:
- there are a huge number of subdomain under blognows.com (http://www.google.com/search?q=blognows.com), dealing with every imaginable subject matters, from travel, to finance, to software, to garage heating etc...
- all content on all sites are written by a single user "owowonowo"
- content looks like it's being posted by a robot, with some weird inconsistencies (eg: an article posted in August 2010 starts by "Holiday season is fast approaching and we only have few days left before celebrating the season.")
But on the other hand, some traits make it also look somehow legit:
- content seems unique, useful and relevant, at first glance
- I don't see any affiliate link or ads or anything from which the webmaster could make money from.
- there is no way of contacting the webmaster or whoever is behind those sites
I'm trying to decide what to do. For now, it's fairly harmless, but I would hate to see this site occupying the SERP for my branded search queries.
What do you all think?