Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 220.127.116.11
Forum Moderators: incrediBILL
One more useless social network
...now that Pinterest pages start showing up in the SERPS and pushing websites with original content down.
Pinterest users posted hundreds of photos from my website. Pinterest however generates less than 1/1000th of the traffic to the website. I blocked Pinterest, starting today.
6537 links in WMT
235 linked pages in WMT
4353 visits for the past 30 days Google analytics
100-200 visits per day Google analytics
Most of the pins are by users and I am not that active on there but will pin some stuff occasionally.
Nothing wrong with any of them, but they all have different perspectives.
(1) You surrender your content to Pinterest.
(2) Your visitors will see your content on Pinterest and no longer need your website.
(3) Your content can be hotlinked from Pinterest to anywhere on the web without your knowledge or consent.
(4) Your website will compete against its own content displayed on Pinterest in the SERPs.
(5) The pinterest.com/source/yourwebsite.com is an aggregate of your pinned content and tends to rank rather highly.
(6) Pinterest links are nofollow, it's shooting oneself in the foot before the race gets started.
Bandwidth is cheap nowadays, few are the webmasters enabling anti-hotlinking to save bandwidth.
Well we don't know how much "social signal" we're getting out of Pinterest NOFOLLOW links. I suspect none.