I would like your opinion on which and what technologies to use in implementing a web based project.
I have been asked to design and program a web page for a religious organization that allows visitors to volunteer their time by selecting one of seven volunteer options. Upon selecting an option, the visitor will then enter a city, state and/or zip code that when submitted, will return and display a list of organizations in the area submitted where they can volunteer. The visitor can then either email or print the list.
Currently the list of organizations is contained in an excel file.
My approach is to use HTML, PHP and MySQL:
1. Design a volunteer form page in HTML.
2. The volunteer option and location data will be passed on to a server side php script.
3. The php script will then query a MySQL data base. (The excel data will initially be exported into a MySQL database.)
4. The MySQL results data will then be returned to the php script.
5. The php script passes the results data back to the HTML form page for display.
What do you all think of my method or is there a better way to accomplish the same goal?