Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 188.8.131.52
Forum Moderators: bill
I opened up my ftp software which I've been running for a couple of years without incident on my XP computer. All of my sites that were listed with ftp information are gone! What?
Oh, well, I have kind of a back up here with a database that lists all of my sites with essential information. I'll just have to recontruct my ftp software files with that.
What? That table is gone? Two totally different programs. One in the root drive and the other in c:/program files are both mysteriously gone. To clarify, the programs are still there and run but the db file/table and the config file for the ftp software is gone.
Dang! (or, something close to that)
So I restore back to two weeks previous and recover the files. Immediately copy them over to a usb drive and remove drive from usb port.
Restore foward to current. The two files in question are still on the harddrive. And stay there for a week.
Today they're both gone. For all I know other files may have gone missing, too. Anyone have a clue to this being a Vista problem, voodoo, or something else?
Any possible solutions? I'm thinking wipe the harddrive and go back to XP but I finally had Vista running without problems (I thought) until this happened and we know that's going to cost me a lot of time.
[edited by: HeyJim at 7:12 pm (utc) on Jan. 3, 2008]
There was a recent IE7 update that caused some people to lose FTP connectivity: Microsoft update to IE 7 causes FTP Failures [webmasterworld.com]
Does that apply to you at all?
So far so good (24 - 36 hours) but I seriously don't think that could have resolved the problem. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Software that is not Vista UAC aware may save data to the program files directory. In this case, Vista will permit the operation to proceed but the data will, in reality, be saved in a virtual folder.
Some areas of the registry are protected in a similar manner.
All such software should be run with administrator privileges if problems (such as this) occur.
The possible solution may be stranger yet. It's been almost a week now since I disabled allowing restore points to be established by Vista and everything has been fine.
I allow for the fact that there is no way there can be a connection between the two events but so far the problem has not repeated itself.
I do still have a copy of XP sitting here ready to go if the problem starts up again. Since buying this computer in May I've resolved all of the Vista problems I intend to resolve.