Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 220.127.116.11
Forum Moderators: bill
I ran the manual window updates. It seemed to run ok the first time. However, when I go to MS update now, it runs really slow.
If I go to another machine, (xp home) MS update runs OK.
If I look at the error message that comes up, it says something about an unterminated string.
The other odd thing is that I was trying to search the MS knowledge base. That seemed slow on the new machine but not on the old machines.
I dont' see anything relevant in the event viewer
I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Oh, I also tried re-registering a bunch of dlls and tried to get the win update activex to reload.
We installed a new machine with XP home.
The first manual windows update ran OK.
Subsequent manual updates either took a very long time or would not load at all
Trying to access the microsoft knowledge base also took a long time.
We disabled the firewall and that resulted in no change.
However, accessing any other site from that machine was fine - fast load and no problems.
During the same time the new machine was having problems, we checked out 2 other machines and ms update and the ms knowledge base pages loaded perfectly.
It seems crazy, but it appears that the new machine has trouble loading MS update but is ok with other sites. It would appear that the problem is not firewall related because it still happened with mcafee disabled.
Ibe other thing... The automatic updates appear to be downloading and running OK on the new machine. That was how I finally got it fully patched.