joined:Jan 13, 2006
Someone help. Please. Our network admin here is telling me that it's not possible to set up multiple sites on IIS 6.0 (server 2003) with the same IP address. Basically shared hosting.
Here is what I have done:
1. Went to our registrar and set up an A record with a new sub domain to point to the web server IP address. (abc.example.com)
2. Went through the IIS 6.0 wizard to set up a new website using abc.example.com as the host and pointing it to a new folder with an index.asp file that just says hello world.
3. Waited for the dns to populate.
4. Tested abc.example.com with a ping to make sure it resolves to the correct IP address. It did.
5. Tested abc.example.com with a tracert to make sure that the domain is routing correctly. It hopped through a bunch of domains and got to our ISP's domain..
And here is where it fails. The hop before it reaches the internal web server on our network it times out. At least that is where I think it fails. The last good hop was on our ISP's server.
The net admin says I must have set something up incorrectly. However, he has also said in the past that IIS 6.0 can't host multiple websites on one IP address.
Can someone give me some steps to definitively track down what the problem is?