Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 18.104.22.168
Here's the situation:
In trying to claim a client's LBL in G, I've requested validation for the site 5 times by postcard and 5 times by phone (the client was told the process and what it entails, but they are, how should I put this, lazy). Now they are going crazy because it has not been claimed, so for the umpteenth time I log in to my LBC and attempt verification yet again, and I receive the following:
The information provided isn't eligible for verification. More info can be found under Google Maps Help .
So apparently there's a limit in the number of verification requests you can make? What now?
My process for helping clients claim listing:
1) Call them on a non-business phone line, like their cell. I've occasioanlly seen G to have trouble with call waiting.
2) Remote control into their computer.
3) I drive their computer & fill in the fields for them.
4) Trigger the G phone call to their biz line.
5) They/I enter the verification code.
Almost always works.
Most small businesses have no clue about what we do & how G really works. Would seem pretty easy for someone to register a fake google acct & then start verification on the competition. A biz that's not Google savvy & not expecting a verification call/postcard will almost certainly ignore the calls & postcards.
I think penalizing for failed verification would be too easy to abuse.