Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 126.96.36.199
Forum Moderators: martinibuster
I am confused as to what actually is termed as "Link Building"? People tend to use this term very often. Actually it is the most difficult part of promotion on the internet.
1. Some people have the notion that link building is going in for reciprocal links. But as we all know, Google is against it !
2. Others say, create fantastic content and people will link to you automatically. But, there is already so well "created" content on the web for some of the niche, it virtually becomes impossible to beat them.
3. Another group of webmasters/SEOs go with submissions at article and directory sites. Here too, the quality of back links is as good as dead.
4. We all get a lot of spam stating "please add my link cuz blah blah". I sure this does not work!
5. Then, there is always a "paid" option :)
So, what in your view is actually link building. Is it only what is stated above or is much deeper than this?
Would link building be there (as we know it) a couple of years ahead or social media would have overwhelmed the search scenario?
My own view is that link building (in any kind of competitive market) is a long-term process. You need to establish yourself as some kind of authority on a subject, and bring something original to the discussion on that subject. Then, by sharing your experience and opinions (whether on your site or others) you hopefully engage others to the extent that they will refer to that content.
What actual is an authority and when do you come to know whether you have attained the authority status or not.When kinley one day you begin looking in your referrals and find traffic coming from other websites.
You investigate as I would and find referance links to your material now your getting warm. You keep working adding crisp well researched content.
You check your referrals again and see some more websites you investigate only these sites have some bite to them linking to your material now ya getting there.
You keep on working, and wworking and working
One day you do a search for a elusive term you really been working on and Bam ya got site links. Now ya know you have authority status.
It may take 1-3-4-5 (maybe never) years of hard hard hard work depending on the vertical your in.
The work never can stop as there will always be one such as yourself wanting that spot you now are sitting.