Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 18.104.22.168
Forum Moderators: martinibuster
1) Home Page with PR5 (www.mysite.com)
2) Sub-page with PR6 (www.mysitecom/sub-page.html)
Which link is more valuable? Given everything else being equal (revelancy, etc.)- which link is better? Would you take the higher PR6 sub-page or home page with PR5.
Some possible things to think about...
- As mentioned, which page will get you the most traffic?
- Which page is more tightly related to the theme of your site?
- Will there be a difference in placement of the link on the page between the two pages?
- Which page has less outbound links?
- Which page has more quality backlinks pointing to it?
- Which page has less obviously paid ads?
- Which page gets cached by the engines more often?
- Which page is updated more frequently?
- Which page has more quality, unique content?
- Which page has higher quality outbound links?
- Which page contains better on page elements for your target keywords/topic (title tags, headings, LSI factors, the usual)?
- Which page contains better off page elements (inbound anchor text, LSI factors, on page elements of the quality sites linking into them, the usual)?
Just a few things off the top of my head it might be helpful to look at.
If the page rank is higher it will give you more of a benifit if its the home page or not. It is seen as the most important page on the site for a reason.
What you should also take into account is the number of links and the position of your link on that page.
If the home page only has 20 - 30 links on the page but the sub page has 90 links your better going for the home page as you will get a greater share of the page rank.
I'm not saying you're right or wrong Cain (I'm a long standing believer that the toolbar PR is not worth basing decisions on), but I am curious as to why you believe, the homepage, as long as it carries equal outbound links and very general relevance, is always worth more without taking anything else into account. I am interested in hearing opinions - from all those who posted "homepage is worth more" on *why* - I think it would make interesting discussion.