Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 126.96.36.199
Forum Moderators: martinibuster
1) Home Page with PR5 (www.mysite.com)
2) Sub-page with PR6 (www.mysitecom/sub-page.html)
Which link is more valuable? Given everything else being equal (revelancy, etc.)- which link is better? Would you take the higher PR6 sub-page or home page with PR5.
Some possible things to think about...
- As mentioned, which page will get you the most traffic?
- Which page is more tightly related to the theme of your site?
- Will there be a difference in placement of the link on the page between the two pages?
- Which page has less outbound links?
- Which page has more quality backlinks pointing to it?
- Which page has less obviously paid ads?
- Which page gets cached by the engines more often?
- Which page is updated more frequently?
- Which page has more quality, unique content?
- Which page has higher quality outbound links?
- Which page contains better on page elements for your target keywords/topic (title tags, headings, LSI factors, the usual)?
- Which page contains better off page elements (inbound anchor text, LSI factors, on page elements of the quality sites linking into them, the usual)?
Just a few things off the top of my head it might be helpful to look at.
From a purely SEO standpoint, all things being equal outbound link wise etc, if both pages are revelent to what you do, then IMHO homepage has more value, even if the visible pr is less in the Google bar.
If the page rank is higher it will give you more of a benifit if its the home page or not. It is seen as the most important page on the site for a reason.
What you should also take into account is the number of links and the position of your link on that page.
If the home page only has 20 - 30 links on the page but the sub page has 90 links your better going for the home page as you will get a greater share of the page rank.
I'm not saying you're right or wrong Cain (I'm a long standing believer that the toolbar PR is not worth basing decisions on), but I am curious as to why you believe, the homepage, as long as it carries equal outbound links and very general relevance, is always worth more without taking anything else into account. I am interested in hearing opinions - from all those who posted "homepage is worth more" on *why* - I think it would make interesting discussion.