joined:Sept 9, 2013
I have been lurking around for a while on Webmasterworld forums so I thought I would chime in and ask few questions about Adwords. It seems like here is lot of experienced ppl.
I'm not new into IM, I have been doing SEO for the last couple of years and I have made/still making a lot of money from it. However, I feel like I'm skilled but jaded...
While I believe I can make some long-term $$$ through SEO and affiliate marketing, I feel like I need to chime into new methods in order to put my eggs in different baskets + get more familiar with Adwords and its opportunities.
I would like to start promoting one digital service that I'm currently getting approx 100 leads per month (through SEO obviously). I'm not going to reveal this niche/service, but all I want is to scale this up.
Right now I have approx. $3000 p/m to burn, if needed I can burn even more, but what I want is to fully master Adwords as well get a decent ROI at the end of 2-3rd month.
So far I have learned what is QS, adgroups, CTR and all this kind of stuff which is very basic I believe. However, I have still few things that I'm not so SURE about:
1) Does Adwords tolerate legitimate affiliate sites? What I mean by that is that my site (which I'm going to create) will provide value/knowledge/information that would most likely HELP my visitors. I'm not promoting some random CB product, I'm promoting a service which helps to get ppl going. For example: Aweber or SpyFu (something similar to that).
3) I have absolutely no idea what is going to be my conversion rate, but the rough average CPC for the main keywords that I'm chasing for are $1-$3. The affiliate payout is $150. One of my sites gets approx 1000 hits from search (several different similar keywords) and is making 4-5 sales per day ($600 - $750). However, I have seen Ads from competitors for the very same keywords and they have been there for months if not years - so there is probably a positive ROI for some people at least.
4) As I mentioned earlier, I have approx $100 - $200 to burn per day. I'm not going to contextual/display network since I believe this is way too overkill for Adwords beginner. I'm strictly aiming search - am I doing right by choosing this path?
5) Broad, Phrase or Exact? I'm not sure which one should I pick. Right now I'm thinking about exact - just need to scrape 100-200 keywords that I believe are somewhat profitable... Any tips for that? Or maybe I should try phrase instead?
6) Any good software/tool for TRACKING and spying for competitors? I have heard good things about prosper202, but is there a better(easier) way to track your Adwords PPC campaign? About spying I have heard some good things about SpyFu & SEMrush.
7) Is it also wise to display your ads to other countries? Like google.pl, google.fi, google.se etc? I believe the conversion rate can be lower for such countries, but the CPC is lower as well. I saw one guy strictly promoting his similar offer for foreign countries not to the mainstream (com,ca,co.uk).
Any other things to keep my eyes on? I don't know what "negative keywords" are, but I believe if I'm going for exact match search then it's not necessarily needed, right? I'll just check my ROI and will weed out the ones that are not generating any sales.