I spent 1/2 the day yesterday trying to get the responsive ad on my TOP page to work correctly.
AdSense is TOO aggressive with "filling the container".
I tried several container changes. My width is 450 pixels, but Google was jamming an ad in that was about 480 pixels.
Which resulted in my page failing all the mobile emulators, for failing to observe the "viewport" parameter.
Also, the ad text is overwritten on the right, because there is NOT enough room.
It works on desktop just fine (except for the overwriting), but on mobile, it widens the container (in this case, table width).
Also, I do double mobile emulator tests for each page, one with the ad, and one without.
ALL EMULATOR ISSUES are caused by the ad.
1. Especially load time. Without ad=200ms, with ad=2.4 seconds
2. Font size too small - its in the ad.
3. Viewport violation - responsive ad is too big for the container
4. Caching violation - caused by the ad
5. Mobile emulator "wonderfulness" scores go down 5 to 15 points on average with the ad included
(including 2 Google tools, PageSpeedInsights and MobileFriendly)
I need to switch back to fixed width 336's, but I am quickly running out of channels.
(To Mod - sorry about that last post in the Google Search section - was meant to be here in the AdSense section.)