joined:Oct 19, 2007
Well... I'm impelled to vent my frustration here.
Type of sites: forum, informational, resources, all direct and organic traffic (no social media traffic), no blackhat, no dubious schemes
Continent: Europe (South)
AdSense revenue report screenshot: [s14.postimg.org
Long story short:
- same situation in all sites, even with different audiences, verticals, etc.
- lots of guessing, why has revenue dropped?
- several scenarios drawed and analyzed
- several hypothesis considered
- several experiments tested, ad format variations, ad style variations, ad positioning variations, viewability variations (show only to clicking audience)
Is it my fault (publisher), is it your fault (AdSense)?
- it's 20% my fault, 80% AdSense's
My fault: ~20% drop in pageviews (more competition = diluted audience as in same population, same subjects, same interest, lots of more sites competing with me)
AdSense's fault: November 2015 is 37% of November 2014 revenue
Everyone's fault: recession, ad blindness, mobile, social media
Most probable cause: lack of advertisers or qualified (contextual) advertisers (aka competition) and or user-ad algorithm mismatching (keep seeing completely unrelated ads when completely anonymized - no cookies, no cache, incognito, public wifi, etc.)
AdSense rep suggestion a year ago: two 300x250 above the fold, side by side, and one 300x600 in the left column.
Result in one of the sites, with such sugestion: 0,02€ clicks, that's USD$0,02, using 300x600, as of today.
Never implemented such suggestion in the other sites, scared of "excessive ads above the fold" Google Search's algorithm penalty.
- average ad CTR in premium positions in one of the sites: 0,6% (from 0,9% to 0,3%, top to bottom).
- average new AdSense matched content unit CTR in the lowest position in page (after all ads): 6,2%.
Ad style of matched content unit = ad style of all ads.
I'm procrastinating the direct ad sale approach (with all the hassle involved) but, thinking about it more often than ever.
No other ad networks alternatives over here, except for affiliates, which most of the time simply don't pay or don't convert.
Forecast: AdSense will become irrelevant to this content-ad business model.
Question: will that forecast resume to AdSense or will it resume to all of the content-ad business model?
Rough times ahead. :(