joined:Mar 3, 2013
I've seen previous threads about this but no clear answer.
This is a specific example and I'm looking for feedback or an expert opinion:
Our directory website receives over 100,000 unique visitors per month and hundreds of thousands of page views.
Adsense has been in place for over five years.
When Adsense was the only ad rotator on the page, daily revenue averaged $200 per day with very little variation.
Two years ago, we implemented direct advertisers. We started by providing only 20% of the total page impressions to direct advertisers through our own ad rotator.
Google Adsense revenue remained virtually identical.
As we continued to add direct campaigns, we lowered the total page impressions for Adsense. Down as low as 10% for some months.
Adsense Revenue declined about 10%. Not 90% as logic would dictate.
We tested the opposite scenario:
Running Adsense at 10%, we doubled rotation to 20% - with only a slight spike, Adsense revenue remained virtually the same.
Running at 10%, we went wide open again for two weeks, running Adsense again at 100%. We would expect to see 10 times earnings if there was not some form of throttling or a fixed maximum revenue threshold set for the site. The result?
Daily earnings remained virtually the same.
The big question is, doesn't this seem like direct evidence of earnings throttling? If we earn a consistent dollar amount on 10% of the traffic, what happens to the other 90% of the impressions when we display Adsense?
Anyone else with a similar experience, would be interested to hear your perspective, and are there any ways to overcome this apparent revenue cap?