The common suggestions to improve your CTR are:
- use 300x250 or 336x280 ad unit, put it above the fold, centered
- use 160x600 on left side, or right side, leaderboard isn't as effective.
- according to heatmap, top left works goood
Is it a coincidence that among the top 5 famous, high-traffic blogs, they all have things in common that are AGAINST common CTR tips?
- Have 300x250 ad unit, but it's not in the center, or left, it's on the right side of the page
- Have 160x600 ad unit on right side of page
- Have a leaderboard ad at the top right of the page
I get it, these blogs have millions of visits so it's easy to make money in that sense.
But their CTR can't be that great, they have ads basically on the coldest parts of the 'google heatmap'
I understand, the adsense tips don't work for everyone, and every site is different, so it might be wrong to point this out. But it's not a coincidence that all these big blogs have nearly the exact same ad placement format, is it?
What's your take on this?