Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 188.8.131.52
I have been reading all these threads about people making their first $x day and i was wondering when it would be likely to happen for me!
Once i have completed it, how long will it take before i start getting $5 a day?
There are far too many unknowns to answer this question.
Depending on your content, your visitors, your ad placements, your advertisers, your marketing, etc., you might achieve this in a week or you might fail to achieve it in a year.
Another thing you should consider is the niche you are in. Some topics pay better than others, while a guitar tabs site will have low paying ads, a luxury hotels guide in Montecarlo site will have better earnings.
So, answering your question, if you work hard, you could be making $5 or more from a new website in 6 months, or even less if you realy work very very hard creating more and more content. Check the Brett's 26 steps to a succesful website tread, therea are lots of good advices there.
PS any other comments feel free to post they're all of great value to me at the moment.
Here's a tip - whatever you do, make each page something you'd be proud of. It's quality over quantity. Always keep the end-user in mind, make your site as useful as possible. I've not only got articles, but online tools, spreadsheets and document that my visitors can use as examples.
I started out by making short and crummy pages that were full of keywords. I just spent the last five months re-writing just about every single article (thankfully, in late 2005 I started putting out quality stuff). When I see a referal in my logs for a particular phrase I can honestly say I've accurately and thoroughly answered their question.
(1) Develop your product. I assume that this is information. You need to write / acquire good enough articles to attract visitors and preferably to get them to come back. The better your product is, the easier it is to...
(2) Market your product. Building a fantastic site isn't enough; you need to help people find it. How are you going to do this? Paid advertising (high cost, instant returns)? SEO (lower cost, takes time)? Viral (can bring massive amounts of traffic quickly, but is difficult to make work)? All of the above? Once you've attracted traffic, you need to...
(3) Monetise your site. This means picking the right ads, putting them in the right place, and customising them to fit in / stand out. Remember, there are other options besides AdSense.
For the best returns, you need to get all three of these right.
I'm still learning about all three.
What you do need is:
1. to target a good niche with decent paying keywords
2. to optimize your site for highest CTR possible
If you can get $.50-$1 per click you'll only need a few clicks per day to earn that $5.