Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 220.127.116.11
Forum Moderators: martinibuster
I'm getting very close to my goal of $5.00 a day, I hit $4.66 and $4.89
this past week. Today I checked for MFA's on my pages and eliminated all I could find using the preview tool and the value per click on most pages has more than doubled this afternoon. I will be doing a keyword check using adwords tools and see if I've got any keywords that need "#*$!ing out" ;~)Once I feel I've optimized everything as much as I can
I'll add more pages.
joined:Sept 20, 2004
Once I feel I've optimized everything as much as I can I'll add more pages.
What on earth on you doing?
You can optimise your butt off however without more traffic your tweaking is a waste of time and effort.
Generate new, relevant, valid content:-)
Ermmm..."add more pages"!
I must echo the sentiment that you should take a break from optimizing adsense and get to work on the content.
One big reason for this is that your traffic demographics may change radically once you have a fully fleshed out site. This will mean re-optimizing for adsense shortly anyway.
joined:Sept 20, 2004
I guess I went about it in the wrong way.
But is that not the situation with everything now?
I WANT IT AND I WANT IT NOW, without any knowledge, experience nor seemingly effort...
No offence meant Lovejoy, many are getting a bit tetchy with the current ups and downs...and yes, I know I'm doing well, I needed to analyse to find out:-))
I guess a little history is in order. The site is a well established authority site and has been online since 1997. It is well linked and has sat on the first page of google for the last three years for all of its major keywords. It is also all over the first pages of all the other engines. As far as traffic goes it already has peaked, total traffic on Overture for the main keywords in my niche is less than 8,000 a month, so all that remains is to optimize.
When I first put adsense on it I just threw it up with no thought about placement, how it looked or where the adds were placed and the returns were dismal. So I can't see the point of just throwing up pages without tweaking the site first with things like easier navigation, screen resolution, fonts people can read easily and researching content type my visitors appear to prefer. Once that's in place its an easy matter to upload more content.
Since I started playing with all these things the CTR has gone from 5.8% to 16.8%. What I have seen through all of this is people want very specific information, they want it easy to find, easy to read in bite sized portions, no more than two clicks deep.
"No offence meant Lovejoy, many are getting a bit tetchy with the current ups and downs...and yes, I know I'm doing well, I needed to analyse to find out:-)):"
You've lost me ;~)I though that was the point I was making, just throwing up wads of pages is not the answer, which is why I've been experimenting with getting it right.....
Lovejoy - out
I have a site similar to yours. About 8000 searches in Overture and I usually totally rule the serps for the top spot on all the major search engines. I could probably stand to be a little more like you.
What you have done is not a total waste of time because you have learned a great deal of information by tweaking your adsense code.
However it sounds like you have reached a point of diminishing returns. Your time is better spent building more sites on a different topic.
I have five sites and have begun work on a sixth, the adsense experiment has been ongoing since the end of July on two of them.
The last finding regarding keywords I've made is probably the last optimization I will need to make before adding new pages.
As it turns out some of my keywords would be far more effective in terms of site traffic and higher click values with the addition of an "S", others with its removal. For example "Blue widget" attracts only 2000 searches and pays "X", "Blue widgets" attracts 4400 searches and pays "XX".
Another thing I've found is search terms that I didn't think would be used in common speech, or were mispelled are often used more than the ones you'd think people would use. I have one high paying keyword phrase where the company name in question is searched for three times as often mispelled than under its proper spelling ;~)
P.S. I've also reset my website to a grade eight to grade six spelling level, but have no stats for the results of that yet.
The difficulty is that I don't think I would have found out about the bits that weren't optimum until I'd posted a lot of pages.
The experiment has been done using 50 pages in the very small niche my sites deal with, which I think gives me a reasonable baseline. To date it has shown the 80/20 split in action, so I know which pages within my niche will be hot, others that are warm and some not worth the bandwidth they take up ;~) I know there will always be suprises, but if the pages are optimized 90% of the puzzle is already taken care of, the rest will simply be monitoring for underperforming pages or underdeveloped markets.
joined:May 5, 2005
that's very smart, because it's a lot easier to change 20 pages than it is to change 200 pages.
google has always recommended that people optimize their pages.