joined:July 8, 2019
Hi folks - long long long time lurker here and haven't really needed to post as I haven't run into many "issues" with Google.
I wanted to query the community to get some insight as to what I should expect for timing on a site/domain migration as what I am currently witnessing doesn't feel right. Per Google's docs they will keep the "change of address" status in effect for 180 days and "within that time they will have crawled and indexed accordingly". I, personally, have seen a few domain change migrations in my time in SEO and they've all taken roughly 3-5 days to make the switch, I am currently going on a month with no change. We knew it wouldn't be a same day change but we are kind of shocked it's taken this long for Google to figure it out.
A little backstory:
- about a month ago we initiated a domain name change (setup new hosting, setup new instance of site, 301'd old pages, submitted 'change of address', etc.)
- we followed all of the steps outlined in Google's own docs (https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6033049?hl=en&ref_topic=6033084)
- we have kept everything on the site the same throughout this process (aside from what the help docs above mentioned) and haven't changed anything to avoid any hiccups for Google and to try and limit how much time it would take to be re-indexed at our new brand name's domain
What we are seeing (all via GSC):
- we have no manual actions but when we inspect tools, several URLs are being flagged as duplicate content while others are indexed and fine
- we are seeing Google "indexed but not in sitemap" but when we go to look at the sitemap we submitted Google has a "success" on it
- they are selecting our old URLs as the canonical
- the URLs they have "indexed" are not seeing the same ranking/visibility as they did at our previous domain (we are under the impression it shouldn't be affected too much, we expected a few ranking drops but not completely off the SERP)
I can't really give you any more information than that (NDA) so I understand if you can't pinpoint any specifics. I am just looking more so for feedback around any migrations/timings you guys have or what we should expect. There are a few of us here who think it would be smart to revert and try to recoup and some that think we should keep pushing along and let Google figure it out.. thoughts?