Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 35.153.73.72

Forum Moderators: Robert Charlton & goodroi

Message Too Old, No Replies

Google Webspam Report, 2017: 80% of Hacked Sites removed from SERPs

     
11:45 am on Jul 2, 2018 (gmt 0)

Administrator from GB 

WebmasterWorld Administrator engine is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

joined:May 9, 2000
posts:26179
votes: 966


Google has published its webspam report for 2017. These are sites which abuse or violate its webmaster guidelines, and those that might have been hacked and infected with malware.
Google says it removed more than 80% of hacked sites from the SERPs last year.

The company also said it put greater effort into discovering and removing unnatural links through "ranking improvements" and "scalable manual actions," resulting in a year-on-year reduction of spam links by almost half. Just a guess, but I suspect they are using much more AI through machine learning to achieve this.

Users reported search spam almost 90,000 times, allowing Google to evaluate and act as required.

In 2017 it also sent 45 million messages to webmasters via the search console, with over 6 million of those related to manual actions.
[webmasters.googleblog.com...]

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/lpMw5N0pkNSPf6i-5HUZSbr_w_I6sCSB1iBqz_ehibY6l_yDl4MNeyaJ4_6rkcVEmxpjzMH44_9W4FbOJzXPXNzr_L2QDzlI8rmm1ccHHLEkN8s0q0g7eD-dFMMtt6Of0p9CtUjR
1:11 am on July 3, 2018 (gmt 0)

Senior Member from US 

WebmasterWorld Senior Member keyplyr is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

joined:Sept 26, 2001
posts:12913
votes: 893


removed more than 80% of hacked sites
Which leaves the question... why did they leave 20% in the SERP?

(just playing devil's advocate)
6:03 pm on July 3, 2018 (gmt 0)

Full Member

10+ Year Member

joined:July 9, 2005
posts: 204
votes: 2


It's about time.... I've been having people steal my software thanks to Google for years and years....I've complained to them so many times.

Crazy it took them this long
7:27 pm on July 3, 2018 (gmt 0)

Senior Member from US 

WebmasterWorld Senior Member lucy24 is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 5+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

joined:Apr 9, 2011
posts:15701
votes: 810


why did they leave 20% in the SERP?
I was hoping it meant that 20% of hackees took successful steps to get rid of the hack and restore their sites to their intended form before G### had time to take irreversible steps. The other 80% were presumably WordPress sites.
7:30 pm on July 3, 2018 (gmt 0)

Senior Member from US 

WebmasterWorld Senior Member keyplyr is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

joined:Sept 26, 2001
posts:12913
votes: 893


@heyday - I don't think the report is saying that hacking has been stopped, or even reduced... only that 80% of hacked websites have been removed from the Google Search Index.