joined:Aug 10, 2013
Early last year we started a site that today has become one of the biggest in its niche (sexuality, personal growth and relationship). We are not a "cheap" dating or sex site trying to sell affiliate products.
After a slow start, which is normal, our high quality content started paying off and people started sharing it a lot and I mean a lot (100k,200k some even more than 300k). And this is not a funny image picture sharing site. We have well written, intellectual content allowing people to expand their horizon on all levels of life.
Up until the site really started taking off our SE visibility was slowly but constantly growing. Once our site started really taking off (1M unique visits and more a month) and thus getting tons of back links from all over the web weird things started happening.
Best described by looking at the attached image.
Google SE Traffic over the past 12 months:
- every 2 month we have seen a vast increase in SE visibility
- increase lasts between 1 to 4 weeks
- during these short periods search results for our keywords seem to be more relevant, less spammy
- does not impact all our keywords
- changes are instant from one minute to another (like on/off switch)
- changes go along with what can be seen on many SERP change sites
My theory so far is that google has been testing something over the last 10 months or so and we happen to be in it somehow. Maybe Penguin 3 that has been rumored to arrive soon.
Would be great if you could share your thoughts or would be great to connect with people experiencing similar things.
PS: Never done any off-page SEO, Link profile is totally natural
[edited by: Robert_Charlton at 6:17 pm (utc) on Aug 26, 2014]
[edit reason] fixed image link [/edit]