Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from

Forum Moderators: incrediBILL & lawman

Message Too Old, No Replies

How do you change the width of the cursor in Microsoft Word

to assist the visually impaired



1:36 pm on Sep 23, 2003 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

I recently made some changes to a PC owned by someone who is visually impaired. He is running Windows XP so I was able to go through the Accessibility Wizard changing such things as the width of the text cursor (carat).

However, this doesn't seem to have any effect in Microsoft Word. It still shows the normal cursor. The new large cursor is shown in other programs like Notepad, IE, etc.

Anyone know why Word isn't picking up this setting, or how I can fix the problem?


1:54 pm on Sep 23, 2003 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

To make changes to your mouse cursor (size and type) open the Mouse dialogue in the Control Panel and explore through the “Pointers” and “Motion” tabs. Again, as in the Display_Appearance tab, you are given the opportunity to save your settings as a new scheme. There is a scheme under the "pointers" tab called "magnified", this may do the trick as I just tried it and the cursor was visibly larger.


2:10 pm on Sep 23, 2003 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear what I meant.

It's the actual TEXT cursor that shows where you are typing in a word document that I'm referring to. The one that you move with the cursor keys and page up and page down keys.

That's the one I'm having difficulty getting word to recognise.


Featured Threads

Hot Threads This Week

Hot Threads This Month