Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 22.214.171.124
Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Hmm... I believe I checked my pages against IE 6 and NS 7, but apparently not IE 5. But I digress. And thanks for the heads-up.
I believe my dad is still using IE 5. I'll ask if he's able to see my Google Ads. Hmm.
On the other computer, everything looks fine.
So there's an issue, but I cannot tell you the reason for it.
Has anyone else had a strange problem with getting stuck in a "Google loop" (best description I can think of).
I've had this a few times recently when using the main Google search page, and now it's started happening on (my site), I think ever since the Google Ads came along.
What happens is, you do a Google search, then click on a link on the results page, or enter a completely different address in the browser address box and all you get is a google-style error message saying the page "cannot be found on this server". But it then says that about the next page you try. This continues for a random number of attempts, but if I put in, for example: (a regular favourite) it'll take me to the Google News page instead. It's as if it has decided only to look at the Google server and not at the rest of the web.
Today I've had several bursts of this when trying to view threads on (my site). All ok to the point where the topics are listed, but click on a topic and all I get is the google error message.
This is driving me google. Does anyone recognise what I'm describing?
I wonder if this is the same issue, or a different one?
Adsense writes an iframe to the page and my script was getting executed after the adsense code. Obviously, at that point parent.frames.length will be greater than 0 and the page will reload...indefinitely. My adsense impressions were quite high and the clickthroughs very low. :P
On my office and home computers, I'm seeing different results. Both are win98, both have IE6, both are fanatically updated. On one, I see all the problems reported... On the other computer, everything looks fine.
Formerly it used to hang whenever show_ads.js had to be downloaded from googlesyndication.com, regardless of whether the HTML page was in the cache or not.
The only interesting things the script does are:
* grab the URL of the page (or the frameset when the iframe is loaded inside a frame) to put in the url= parameter
* add random=[some random string], probably to defeat caching
Google should have given webmasters INLINE scripts to paste, with url-options such as "safe" and "language" hard-coded into each script. The inline script would not have to be much longer than what you currently have to paste -- most of it would be the static parts of the iframe URL, not logic.
(For reference, the remote script AdSense makes you load is [pagead2.googlesyndication.com...] .)
At the moment readers get first what they asked for - the content of the page - the ads can come second. Logically, the content may interest them enough in the ads they will click on an ad!
Bummer. I think I would do pretty well with Adsense. Itís odd that more people aren't experiencing this problem. It must be a combination of things thatís only affecting a few sites.
I agree it's no good if any pages hang or the user gets their experience disrupted, but it may be only a very small minority that is having the problem and you may be two of them. In that case, it may be too early to take the code off altogether, but not too late to change the config of your own machines.
Or do you think there may be some conflict in your existing coding and the adsense js.. like doc types, other scripts etc?
We havent had complaints yet and it works OK in all configs ive viewed it in.
I have tested this on 3 different PC's and they all lock up intermittently for no apparent reason.
RE: Or do you think there may be some conflict in your existing coding and the adsense js.. like doc types, other scripts etc?
I thought the same thing, so I put the banners on a totally clean page and pulled them in via a iframe. This did stop the whole page from not downloading, but the page coming inside the iframe still locked up at times.
From reading this thread it would appear others have had the same problems. I got a reply from Google that simply asked me my OS and settings. This irks me as it is pretty obvious that, while I can change my setting, I have no control over the other 3 billion systems out there!
I also bet that when google bot visits, it would skip the pages that it's OWN script is locking up.
Anyone know of a legit way to have clicked links open in a new window? spoon-fed instructions please!
There is no legit way to have clicked links open in a new window. You'd need to tamper with the AdSense code, and that would violate the TOS.
I have seen may other sites do so though, eg Tucows etc.
I have seen may other sites do so though, eg Tucows etc.
You may be seeing Google AdWord banners, skyscrapers, or leaderboards that are being served by ad networks such as Tribal Fusion or FastClick. They look very similar to AdSense ads except for not having the "Ads by Google" link at the bottom.
Also, Google will customize a program for sites with at least 20 million impressions a day, and such customization might include having the links open in new windows, taking off the "Ads by Google," or changing the color scheme.
It is just so good to actually get a human email from a web business as big as Google. They deserve to be number 1 in my book.
- I can see adsense ads in other sites when using the same IE6.
- My partner couldn't see ads in my sites using her IE6.
- Using IE6, we both see the adssense ads, she installed on her site.