Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 184.108.40.206
Forum Moderators: open
From google.com, checking backlinks gives: "cache:http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 - did not match any documents."
and checking cached snapshot of page gives: "cache:http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 - did not match any documents."
Uninstalled/re-installed v1.1.70...no change.
Using XP Pro with IE6.
Don't know if it's relevent, but my isp is NTL cable.
Close all Internet Explorer windows.
add the following line at the end of your TCP/IP hosts file:
Depending on the Windows version the file could be in:
For windows98 only the file hosts.sam might exist. Save a copy of this sample file in the same directory (c:\windows?) as "hosts" and add the line above in this new file.
Now restart Internet Explorer.
Hope this helps. If not, you can also try other datacenters:
My toolbar has also mysteriously stopped showing PageRank, and also stopped offering categories. However, the PC my collegue in the office is using IS showing PageRank and displaying the category button... Hmmm.
This happened to me towards the end of last month as well. Its' not to do with IP Address, as everyone in the office is behind a NAT router on one single IP (using BT Openworld).
If I change IP address (by taking the laptop I'm working on home - using NTL Home incidently workshy), then it *might* start displaying PR again. But as soon as I come back to the office - zap, it's gone again.
Switching my hosts to use a different datacentre for toolbarqueries doesn't work either.
Possibilities I've narrowed it down to include:
1) I'm unlucky enough to keep hitting a datacentre wich has stopped handing out PR (maybe due to the impending update)?
2) I'm jinxed
3) Something more sinister....?
I'm wondering if it's something to do with a single, or group of, data centres.
I've kept better track of my browsing behaviour recently, and have found that:
* On opening a browser, sometimes the toolbar does not show pagerank
* If I surf around straight away using this browser, it still does not show pagerank
* Sometimes the toolbar will show pagerank on opening a browser (like it is now for instance)
* If, on the instances where I don't have any pagerank shown, I wait for a while, and then surf using the same browser instance, pagerank will magically start showing.
This therefore leads me to believe that:
* Some data centres do not show pagerank
* My browser gets the IP address of one of these datacentres, and due to the TTL of www.google.com, it caches this for a period of time (is it 5 minutes?)
* When I continue browsing, eventually the cached IP Address for www.google.com expires and I obtain a new one, for a different data centre. (If I'm lucky) this then causes pagerank to start showing again.
Therefore, I need an IP address of a data centre which shows pagerank, and to enter this into my hosts file under toolbarqueries.google.com
When I get some time I'll do some further experimenting....
Notice the 104 at the end. This used to be 100 or 101 and recently sporadic a 99. Starting from March 13 [dance.kunden-efactory.de] the log of efactory started showing 104s.
With this IP address I have no problems to see the PageRank.
from the DOS command line and saw the IP address is 220.127.116.11
Last time I had no pagerank this was showing .99
And thanks for the suggestion Marcia, however it didn't work for me. :( I tried this 5 times (yes!), and nothing.
The toolbar worked intermittently, both before, and after the reinstall attempts.
I have had the google toolbar installed for a number of months with no problem. But for the last few weeks page rank bar has been greyed out. I have tried uninstalling and all the other suggestions below to no avail.
Is there another way of checking page rank apart from the toolbar as I am just fed up trying now?
toolbarqueries.google.com has address 18.104.22.168
toolbarqueries.google.com has address 22.214.171.124
toolbarqueries.google.com has address 126.96.36.199
toolbarqueries.google.com has address 188.8.131.52
toolbarqueries.google.com has address 184.108.40.206
I suspect that when it doesn't work you happen to be hitting a lame server, which is then cached for a while. When you reboot or the cache expires you may well get a different address and all will be well again.
Yesterday, I uninstalled the toolbar, but Google DLLís were not deleted for some reason. I restarted and deleted them manually. Then, I set the firewall not to load at startup, cleared cache, restarted (no firewall), and reinstalled the toolbar. Then, turned the firewall on, restated, and it is working again!
I am running Win ME and actually donít know if what I have done actually got the PR to work on the toolbar or it was something else.
Be sure, before jumping to conclusions, that you have your toolbar open before clicking any SERP in Google. I sometimes get into this trap, because I hate seeing that toolbar. Sometimes I am visiting a page, then I display the toolbar to check its PR. But, that method is flawed. I have to go back and search for the page in Google, with the toolbar open for PageRank to be displayed.
PageRank will sometimes not be displayed if you enter the URL direcly into your address field in your browser.
Worth noting, in case this was the cause of your problem.
I too was unable to use Google's PageRank feature, as it was grayed out for quite some time. Google did respond to my questions, but ultimately were unable to help. I do operate behind a firewall, and they said PageRank doesn't work well with systems behind proxy's or firewalls (however it used to work behind the firewall).
I'm using Windows 98 IE6.
1) I recently purchased a anti-popup, anti-spamming, and anti-datamining software package. I loaded the software, and quarantined ALL the datamining programs under separate directories (accept Alexa & Google) (I was surprised at how much legitimate sounding datamining stuff was in my system).
2) deleted ALL cookies (I do not accept cookies now either)
3) downloaded updates from microsoft
4) re-installed the google toolbar with my firewall up
The PageRank indicator is now functioning. I'm not sure if all these steps are necessary - but that's what worked for me.
Also - somebody asked if there is another PageRank service out there. In addition to the Google toolbar, I use the Alexa.com toolbar - and in fact prefer Alexa's numerical page rank indicator to the graphic google uses.
It was that some sites were grey - then all sites - and now its just the Google search result pages! The home page of Google shows pages rank but none of the SERPs.
I use ZoneAlarm and the privacy settings can get in the way, however, I have left them off.
My humble opinion is that Google is maybe not giving all the needed resources for PR requests - some times during heavy traffic your PR on the tool bar may go away.
Then if it has never worked or stoppped working for days at a time then DNR something!