Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 184.108.40.206
This has probably been covered a lot of times already, so I apologise if it has.
I have for the past month been looking for answers and no joy :(
What it is, a month and half ago I changed my websites name and obiously registered a new domain. Now what I done is used a 301 redirection which google says would pick up automaticly. This has not happend and I have lost tremendous amounts of traffic and I am very concerned. I contacted Google and they say they can't help induvidual cases.
Yahoo and MSN listed me within two weeks, the 301 redirection was picked up instantly.
The only error that I may have done as I did not know, I submited my new domain to Google instead of letting find the 301, I don't know if this will make any difference, hope not.
I also registered 2 other domains which I use for other general work and they got indexed within 3 weeks?
The funny thing is that I am listed in GOOGLE NEWS as I use that for my content but not listed on Google itself.
If anyone has any tips, or know common errors why these may of happend please do share some of your knowledge, I would gighly appriciate it.
I don't have a definite answer to your problem getting indexed in Google, but you might want to try these things:
1. Are you sure you are not listed in Google? what happens if you do a search for [site:mynewwebsite.tld]? If there are any results, then you have been indexed, but are not showing up for your terms.
2. Do you see any evidence in your logfiles of Googlebot visiting?
3. I don't think that submitting your site manually would have caused an issue.
4. Could Googlebot be having a problem accessing your site, say with a bad robots.txt file, or something like that? This might be a good time to check out Google Sitemaps, which now has the ability to identify crawl problems, and show you where they are so you can fix them.
5. Is it possible that your domain is on Google's blacklist? Rumor has it that if a domain name has been used to spam Google in the past, then may not be indexed in the future, at least without some intervention. You might want to check archive.org to see if there has been any activity on the domain in the past. If this looks like it might have been the case, than a Google reinclusion request might be in order.
Finally, Google has been known to take its time in honoring a 301 redirect, even if it is done with the best of intentions. I've seen domains that appear to fall into a black hole for several months, and finally pull out of it.
So, keep your chin up, and try these suggestions and see if they help.
Thanks for your reply. Much appriciated.
I have checked what you mention in your answer 1. ([site:mynewwebsite.tld]) I do this everyday hoping it will appear.
I have also got sitemaps account and there in no errors when visiting my site - Just tells me no documents have been indexed but the crawlers have visited my site and found no errors.
I checked out the WAYBACKMACHINE you suggest and the domain was registered in Nov 2003 and used till Feb 2004 - seems the domain was only parked for three months.
I will keep searching for answers - thank you very much for your tips, very useful.
I guess the next suspect would be the somewhat erratic behavior of the Big Daddy infrastructure update that is being rolled out by G. From reading some of the posts, it appears that some webmasters have just a few pages indexed now, despite having many indexed previously.
Having spent more than 15 years in the software industry, I know that major new releases always mean unanticipated big bugs. It's frustrating when it happens, but I expect you will be able to pull out eventually. Good luck.