Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 184.108.40.206
We are thinking of rebranding and changing the name of our business. We have an existing domain that does well in SERPS but this will need to change to reflect the new biz name. Can anyome tell me what negatives this will have in terms of search engine results positions and how to you best manage the domain changeover. Am I right in thinking that if we set up a 301 redirect to the new domain all our previous backlinks will be linked to the new domain or will we need to start building new back links for the new domain. Will Google throw us back itno the sandbox?
It's a tough decision what you are describing. I guess you will probably be thrown into the sandbox for quite some time. Here is what I would do if I were in your position (although I hope not!):
1. I would build a website on the new domain using the less similar content with the old one as you mostly can.
2. I would maintain the old domain with the same old content without doing anything on it.
3. I would not set a redirect from my old domain yet.
4. I would start slowly building quality backlinks to the new domain (not from the old one!) as well as fresh original content on the new one.
5. I would wait for few months until the new domain gets its way to the SERPs and then redirect the old domain to the new one.
Just my 2 Euro-cents. :)