Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 126.96.36.199
It seems nearly all the data centers are showing some form of bigdaddy results now. I am not sure if there is a 100% bigdaddy/not bigdaddy distinction anymore.
The only two DCs I see that are showing different results are 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206 and those results seem to be from late December, early January, at least in the sectors I monitor.
[edited by: tedster at 5:31 am (utc) on Mar. 25, 2006]
I just checked some of my keywords in Google Analytics, and then checked them out in the SERP's. Some of them were at number one position, and showing as supplemental, and below them were much bigger brand name companies, some with, some without supplementals.
Either this is a fluke, or Google is treating supplementals as valid. I believe in the latter.
I get the feeling that nothing will be settled for a while. But then things are always changing with Google.
What I have been noticing is far too much weight being given to .co.uk and .ca URL's in the USA serps.
So a common search would produce:
keyword.com (A valuable site to USA searchers)
keyword.co.uk (Of no value in the USA)
keyword.ca (Of no value in the USA)
I would expect this on google.co.uk and google.ca, but not on Google.com.
It is making a mess of the serps with valuable sites that were in the top five results dropping down or off the page.
This will only lead to blackhats picking up off-shore URL's.
For the first time since 2 years ago my home page is ranking roughly where it should on those dcs instead of being filtered/penalized/dampened out.
Hopefully it will propogate but it could just be that those 2 dcs are in an unfinished state.
While the results are interesting in terms of some ups and downs, two key things. First, these results have some of the worst, lightweight spam appearing high for mega-competitive terms that almost never have these lightweight sites ranking for.
Probably even worse though is these results show a LOT of "pages" like:
That is a seriously bad thing.
Seeing a lot of pages displayed in an ie? search (like the lists at mcdar) that are not being displayed in a ("normal") search? search. The different results depending on the format display is not new, but this is like mistakeningly penalized pages are reappearing one way but not the other.
I'm getting the same results on 220.127.116.11 also.
It lists just five supplementals of my site right at the end of all results.
What I don't understand is that none of my new pages are in the results - since about a year maybe. All distinct titles, content, white hat etc etc.
Very few of my old internal redirects are listed (php -> html) but not many.
Maybe the rest of my site will now be indexed again?
Is Google really trying to be the least up to date engine or what? I thought Ask.com were the kings of that?
Interesting that you mention this. I came back in early March and have done well all month. However, yesterday some things started to change again. I am trying to figure out if it is filter tweak, or another data refresh, or both?
All changed today for us on one site.
Site 1 lost positions March 8 now seems back
Another one of our sites was hit 27/12 came back March 8 and has still retained position and hopefully may continue to do so...but knowing Google you can never tell.
Looks to me like a data refresh mixed in with a tweak.
I have 2 sites i watch like a hawk.
historical data shows they do well, but on September 22 and December 27, they both tanked at the same time. They came back on Jagger 3 and Early March. I did a 301 with both sites during that time.
This morning, one site has lost 30% of the rankings that i watch, but the other one is holding on. So i think to myself, what is the difference and the most prominent difference that i can think of is that the one holding on is 301 for www. and the one that lost 30% of the traffic is a tad different.
What makes it different is that 2 other domain names are 301'd to the primary domain and the primary domain has the www 301. (i hope I am explaining this right)
When i did a site operator over several weeks this month for the 2 domains that are mapped to that primary domain, they would always show results for the www primary domain, but this morning I am seeing that the site operator is showing those 2 other domains as individual websites. So would i be correct to assume that Google is now not seeing the 301 right?
Also interestingly enough, the 2 domains that I did the site operator on show the pages that I am still ranking well on.
I am starting to think that Google is having a harder time with multiple 301 domains pointing to one primary domain because the other site that has a simple www 301 is still in good shape. (I hope I have explained this correctly)
I also tossed related RSS feeds onto the pages two nights ago. (The traffic came back within 12 hours, but I'm not sure it's related :) )
Google may update the cache of your site but they do not score the onpage and offpage changes you make that quickly.
As you know with Google it is 90 days on average to update the link counts and PR value... and I think it takes that long for page changes to be seen, evaluated, and scored.
That is what I think hurts many webmasters...they make changes...then don't wait long enough to see how those changes fall out.
junior pulling in the RSS feed more than likely is responsible for the upswing of traffic to your site. The site that owns the RSS feed may have plastered your site as the newest member or similiar....which would spike traffic for a bit.
By doing a htaccess rewrite or isaapi for windoze... pointing all symlinks to the absolute... will force all incoming PR to the absolute URL and thereby increase positions on the organic Google results.