Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 184.108.40.206
We have 2 options as I see it:
1. Do nothing, and just live with the half day of downtime.
2. Move the site to a temporary server in a different location with a different IP address a week before the outage and then move it back after the outage.
Will doing nothing, and just live with the half day of downtime hurt our rankings?
If we move the site to a temporary server a week before the outage and then move it back after the outage will this change in location and IP address affect our rankings? If so, how?
I had a similar thing happen, basically Google just used my "error" page in the SERPs for 1 day (because my site gets crawled many times a day). The ranking stayed the same and continued as normal after that. It normaly takes Google a few crawls to change their mind on what topic a site is. Maybe they know things like this happen?
I wish you luck,
I'll look for your post next week to see how it goes.
joined:Dec 29, 2003
I had banned G for about 10-12 days (off & on as I was changing content) and eventually they delisted me, but was bak up within a week of allowing them. That was close to two weeks. In your case, GB will give up and come back the next day, or later the same day. Nothing will chang IMO. They know that sites go down, delays etc. etc.
I know I wouldn´t be happy with a 12 hours outage.
We've been with a subsidiary of theirs (whom we liked because they were located in Baltimore which is about as safe weather/flood/earthquake-wise as you can get) for almost 7 years and a few years ago THEY moved all their hardware PHYSICALLY, in a truck, from Baltimore to Florida where they are now with V. Trucks have accidents. We were going to be down for 3 DAYS! We insisted they set us up a new server in FL first and let us backup and transfer everything. At that time we were paying them 3x as much, so they let us do it.
Seems like an awfully long time to me to "move" things next door as they claim. (gee, wonder how many will get dropped and stepped on, on the way) What's the matter, are they going to disconnect the power from one building, then move all the hardware, THEN reconnect it next door? Sounds REALLY HOAKEY to me. We've already started seriously discussing moving (permanently) to another host between now and then.
Let me know if you find a comparable place and I'll do the same.
We will be moving to another host before Aug.