Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 184.108.40.206
The domain I moved the site to, mydomain.com, belonged to me since 6 months or so, and it was previously forwarded to myschool.edu/~myUserName/site/ by the DNS server's web forwarding option. At this time, the myschool.edu/~myUserName/site/ address was listed on the first page of Google SERPs for my main keywords.
After I moved the site completely to mydomain.com and did the 301 redirects from the old myschool.edu/~myUserName/site/ address, the old address kept getting google hits for a few days. Then, it disappeared from the SERP results, and the new address is nowhere to be found (somewhere between page 60-70) after 3 weeks. I updated most of the IBLs pointing to the old adress, and got some new links for the new one. The new address is now #1 for most keywords on MSN, in the first or second pages on Yahoo and Altavista, but still nowhere in Google. MSN shows couple hundred IBLs to the address, and Google shows none although it used to show 10-15 about 10 days ago.
The PR of the old address was 4, and the new address still appears to have a PR4 on internet explorer. On firefox PR tool however, PR is now grayed out. Strangely, only the PR of the main page is grayed our and all subpages have PR0. Google bot is active on the site and visits many times a day. These sub-pages also get some small number of visitors from Google. Google does not return any results to the query link:www.mydomain.com, but it lists my site among the first ten for the query allinanchor:my keywords.
One more thing. I requested an update for the DMOZ entry of my site right after I changed the domain name, and DMOZ changed it in 1 or 2 days. Almost 3 weeks are gone now, and this change is still not reflected in Google directory. As far as I know, Google updates its directory from DMOZ every week or so, I wonder if I am wrong or there is a problem.
Oops, the message turned out to be pretty long. I thought a somewhat detailed description of the case might help people to understand the mechanism or see the problem.
First thing is that Google does give a higher weighting to .edu domains than .com domains so that will have an effect on your rankings. I'm not sure if the 301 redirect will pass that advantage on to your .com domain.
Secondly, it takes time for Google to pick up all the inbound links and associate them with your new domain. Over time, you should notice your position in the SERPS increase.
Give it time, and while you are, look around and try and get more inbound links from other sites with a similar theme to your own site.
As for DMOZ, it's not unusual for them to take a long time to update your listing. It could take years in a worst case scenario.