Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from

Forum Moderators: buckworks & webwork

Message Too Old, No Replies

Advice Needed

is this ok to do


Andrew Thomas

10:56 am on Jan 16, 2003 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

I have recently registered a domain name.

It is not this (using this as an example) but on the same lines as:


the site links off to their official page and also links to my own site (accommodation site).

Is this acceptable, or do you think i will have complaints about the name.

basically ive used the county name and the tourist attraction name together..

Any advice is welcome



11:02 am on Jan 16, 2003 (gmt 0)

If the site contains information about the local area and the tourist attraction, then yes.

If it just links out, then dodgy ground.



Andrew Thomas

11:06 am on Jan 16, 2003 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

Its only a one pager...

Info about the tourist attraction, and a link to my site.

I looked on overture and noticed these keywords are getting 500 hits per month (average) so thought it a good idea to try and use it for my benefit. Just need to get it in the SE first he he


11:57 am on Jan 16, 2003 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

I would always try to add something to this site otherwise people will not stay to use any of your links anyway.

Think up an angle, the quirkier the better IMO and put at least ten pages up. That way people will be more inclined to listen to what you have to say in terms of them following your links.

Secondly it gives you the remit to use the domain as you have created some original content. This will give you a better chance of keeping the domain if anyone complains.



11:19 pm on Jan 17, 2003 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

you could end up in trouble there. if the tourist attraction name is trademarked (AFAIK it doesn't even have to be a *registered* trademark) and you are attempting to make money off the name, then you could end up in court for "passing off". lots of factors to take into account like if the tourist attraction is a trading business or if its a landmark type attraction, and also exactly what you do with the domain / site etc.

best advice i can give is to check the patent office website at [patent.gov.uk...] - you can do a trademark search and read up all about trademark ownership and passing off.

Andrew Thomas

9:48 am on Jan 20, 2003 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

Thanks for all the input.

Ive tried to have a look at the patent.gov.uk website, but it seems to be offline.

But i'll keep trying and look into this a bit more, as i dont want to put my foot in it :)

I looked at companies house website, and there were a couple of registered names one the actual tourist attraction name, and another with the word accommodation in front of it, but my full URL name was not there.



Featured Threads

Hot Threads This Week

Hot Threads This Month