Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from

Forum Moderators: buckworks & webwork

Message Too Old, No Replies

Is BuyDomains concidered a cybersquatter



5:54 am on Mar 30, 2002 (gmt 0)

I went looking for a domain name to match my brick and mortor business already in existence. While looking for my preferred name I found it was owned by BuyDomain. They have an option to request a bid on the domain name which I did and am waiting for a reponse.
What are my options if this company comes back and says they want an unreasonable amount for this domain name. If anybody knows about court cases or laws to prevent this that would help.


7:09 am on Mar 30, 2002 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Well, Cybersquatter is a term that does not really apply a lot now days. Most major corporations have settled all cases and gotten their virtual names back.

Also all major corporations buy the domain names before they create a new brandname now days too.

The names that most of these sitters have are generic in nature now days. You will not find big corporation names inside the domains they sit on. They know better!

It really depends on the domain. If it is generic I would say they will win. But legal action may make them think it is not worth it and they will settle. In general I think they are smart and would not lose if challenged. But big money always wins.

Sticky me with your domain, I will take a look.


7:22 am on Mar 30, 2002 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator brett_tabke is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

Don't EVER share the name of domain you are trying to acquire with ANYONE other than your lawyer - ever.

TB, is you company name generic? Or have you trademarked it?


7:25 am on Mar 30, 2002 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Ted, you can be pretty sure that they will ask too much for the domain. Of course, it's only too much if your not willing to pay it.

Your best bet IMO is to just get creative and think up a new catchy name of your own for your web presence. You could easily come up with a good name and save your self some frustration.


7:50 am on Mar 30, 2002 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

That is good advise, and NEVER do it in a forum for sure. And NEVER do it for a domain that is dropping. But a name that a sitter holds is more safe to discuss. But still don't do it in public.

But I asked for him to sticky me the domain because I have insight into that company and I know what domains they let expire.

In the last month they have let 1,756 domains expire. They have registered 14,321 new domains. And they have sold 780 domains. :)


9:05 am on Mar 30, 2002 (gmt 0)

So companies are still paying big bucks for names that they want?

The suggestion of getting another name is a very good one I agree. 8 years ago when we first decided to go online the domain name was taken by a legitimate company. We thought a little harder and came up with a suitable name that we have used ever since. We just recently renewed that name again and figured we would see if the other one was available. You all already know the rest of the story.


12:16 pm on Mar 30, 2002 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator brett_tabke is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

And never do it even with your wife/husband/brothers/kids - don't even whisper to your dog. *it happens.

I just spend two years trying to get a domain back because I let it slip to a couple of friends - who whispered to a couple of friends - who... Two years and several "billable" hours later, I do have the domain name.

Get your name trademarked TB and then file a Icann complaint. It can be done, but it takes a little time. If the company that owns the domain is in the US, then you have a better chance.


12:35 pm on Mar 30, 2002 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member


Listen to what Brett says, I am always 'paranoid' and if it was me I would continue using the name I own and not even MENTION to the company that has it your interest in it.

The chances are if it is NOT generic then they may let it expire, I was tempted to enquire about a domain which would have been very important to me, and it was due to expire last september.

After careful thought (about 2 weeks:)) I decided to just keep quiet and not show my interest, low and behold they let the domain expire and now I have it.

So, depending on your situation if you can just keep quiet then sometimes it is for the best, however after already showing interest, what I would do is if you don't have any legal grounds and they won't accept a reasonable offer then I would just sit tight and see what happens when it expires, this is, of course, if you can wait :)

I cant stress HOW IMPORTANT it is NOT to share the domain name with ANYONE EVER, I have had experiences and learnt the hard way as many people have, although Lisa's intentions are probably a generous offer to help I would still advise against it. (no offense Lisa but you obviously understand).

There is nothing more gut wrenching to have someone take your name away.

Good Luck,



12:49 pm on Mar 30, 2002 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member woz is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

Yes I am sure Lisa had no ill intentions with her offer. I am equally sure we are all speaking generally when we say it is best to keep mum.

I do trust my very close friend and we often bounce domain ideas off each other because there is that long standing friendship and trust in place that goes beyond swiping a domain off each other.

However, I have also made the mistake of asking someone's opinion on a domain name that ended in that domain being snapped before I could get it.

So these days I keep very close counsel, and, as domains are somewhat cheap these days, will often register a domain if it is available even if I am not sure if it is "the one".

I also enquired about a domain that was for sale through similar avenues and had a jolly good laugh when I saw the asking price. So now, like Dazz, I am just waiting to see if it expires. If it does I will grab it. If it doesn't, Oh Well. NEXT!



2:56 pm on Mar 30, 2002 (gmt 0)

So I got the resonse back on my domain name query. They are asking $1088. Yes, that is correct. I didn't not miss the period or anything like that.

I am not sure if there is a trademark on my company name. It was an established company for about 5 years prior to us purchasing it so I am not sure what was done before.

If I find out anything that successfully gets me my name without a piece of paper with $1,088 written on it I will let you know. Thanks to everybody for the help.


Featured Threads

Hot Threads This Week

Hot Threads This Month