Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from

Forum Moderators: buckworks & webwork

Message Too Old, No Replies

Where to register .gov.uk domain?



11:15 am on Sep 19, 2005 (gmt 0)

Hi folks,

Nice forum - can see myself spending alot of time here!

Anyway, just started building a site for a local council and wish to register a .gov.uk domain name for them. Trouble is, and I still cant quite believe it, i'm having trouble finding a reputable company to register it for me.

I have found a list of ISPs that offer .gov.uk domains <snip> but is it me or do they all look like one-hit-wonders?

Does anyone have any prior experience with any particular company who could do this for me?


[edited by: Webwork at 12:06 pm (utc) on Sep. 19, 2005]


11:27 am on Sep 19, 2005 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

You will have to contact Nominet [nic.uk...] as it is the government reserved TD.


11:41 am on Sep 19, 2005 (gmt 0)

Hi Angelis,

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware that .gov.uk is reserved for government bdies only - the site I am building is eligible to have this domain (although in a way I wish it didn't! Would be alot easier to just register a .co.uk).


[edited by: Webwork at 12:08 pm (utc) on Sep. 19, 2005]
[edit reason] We do not allow recommendations of registrar posts [/edit]


11:43 am on Sep 19, 2005 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

Nominet doesnt actually sell domains itself but controls the .uk domains. If you call them and ask them for one of thier resellers who can help you then you might have some luck.


12:42 pm on Sep 20, 2005 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

The .GOV.UK SLD is one of the few .UK extensions that isn't handled directly by Nominet; the Cabinet Office e-Government Unit is responsible instead.

Eligibility guidelines for .GOV.UK are here [cabinetoffice.gov.uk].

General information on JANET, who feature in the proceedings, is here [ja.net].



1:03 pm on Sep 20, 2005 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

Learn something new everyday, my apologies.

Featured Threads

Hot Threads This Week

Hot Threads This Month