Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 188.8.131.52
Forum Moderators: lawman
The second phase later this year, will be more interface changes based strictly upon user feedback. Thank you to all the members who have helped make this possible.
WebmasterWorld V3 BestBBS Change Log 05-30-2001
Updates additions and corrections since v2.0
- BestBBS : After 18 years of BBS programming, I've finally settled on a name for the software :-)
- Most sensitive actions on the part of the user, require being logged in via cookies. This includes, posting, responding, editing, and stickymail.
- Rewrote entire registration process.
- Registration now emails a user a confirmation number instead of password.
- Updated to use new theme/skin templates.
- Registration now works much-more-better-different ;-)
- New skins. Allows member customization of all main system variables and display parameters. The main reason for the switch was to get font size and font face control into the hands of the members for ease of use purposes.
- Users may clone each others skins.
- Users may expand or collapse category listings on main forum index page and on homepage via control panel pref.
- Auto post splitting with pref on profile for split level.
- All new preview routines.
- Preview now reshows input form window for those with caching disabled.
- New status line for messages just above location bar when needed. Warnings, confirmations, and user messages go here.
- Preview shows post exactly like it is displayed in thread.
- All mods now show "moderatore forumX" with a link to their forum under their profile anywhere on the system.
- Added post and keyword highlighting (v2.8).
- added "location" field to on screen profile display.
- "roll your own" active list to control which cols are included or not included. The default set is now rolled back with a few removed.
- The ENTIRE forum (including all threads) now validates via the w3c validator (hope to keep it that way)
- Created "side bars" for Netscape and Opera of Activelist and homepage highlighted threads.
- New user pref for post form input height (rows).
- Redid time zone display to make much easier (all proper times zones now displayed in simple drop down on profile).
- Zapped all cookie routines and went with new code.
- Forum/discussion last read pointers now comes out of user file instead of cookie if user is logged in.
- Open links in new windows prefs option.
- Added max threads in forum view option.
- Added optional ICQ field to profile.
- Added library system of highlighted threads.
- New category view option on prefs/profile.
- Added reverse display of threads to user prefs.
- Reset Cookies. Redid that system.
- Added 3rd level subforums.
- Converted from SSI to Apache Mode_Rewrite (v2.8). This Reduced file usage. Increased page generation speed 500%. Reduced overall system resources.
- Removed "template" page generation in favor of inline on-the-fly generation. This reduced amount of memory used per page view by up to 2 megabytes. Not all that important at 10k views a day, but at 100k views, it's critical.
- Converted User Files to new ini format instead of flat files. This is more flexible. Very easy to add new user prefs.
- Globalized many routines: Title, Nav bars now generated globaly for sake of skins.
- Adjusted thread msg flat files to new format. This gives us more options on a per-thread and per-message level. It paves the way for future enhancements.
- Moved to new Email system. Email now sent in delayed fashion for system resources and flexibility reasons.
- Moved an enourmouse amount of routines to stand alone scripts. This reduced the overhead hit for each routine.
- Inserted (but not enabled) post collasping that shows only unread messages.
- All new post, reply, and edit routines. Trimmed 30k from both ipost.cgi and misc.cgi. Should speed things up. Much more streamlined and easy to update.
- After post, reply, or edit, you are automagically taken back to the post at that spot via autorefresh to a named anchor on the page.
- Added named anchors to page for "exact spot" highlighting.
- New Edit routine blocks the "view" of an edit if not post owner (security precautions).
- V2.0. Major portions are a ground up rewrite and changes therefore are not fully documented.
- StickyMail link from each post to user.
- added msg icons.
- calendar setup for future online PIM.
- reworked folder display.
- new menu system
- preview must reshow message.
- added message quoting.
- flags now part of stickymail.
- enable or disable stickymail from profile/prefs.
- on create, now asks for user before proceeding to creation screen to check if user exists.
- rewrote member file edit routines to work with new file formats.
- new member file search on all fields.
- rearranged file names to something akin to logical.
- updated setforumorder.cgi to new templates.
- updated forumsetup.
- added note field to user prefs.
- added donation field to user prefs.
- added auto post "forwarding" to new post location if post moved.
- added new member log.
- added admin action log.
- added ip <-> member collation and tracking.
- final analysis: rewrote most of admin section (eg: dumped much lame code).
Not a single line of code hasn't been looked at, with most being changed.
Basically, what we are looking at here, is 80-90% rewrite of all code. The final vestiages of what the orginal software are gone.
- forum sort corrupted on split move join
- active list corruption on split post.
- stickymail not honoring auto-notify
- preview post _must_ present post in form window for those with caching disabled.
- cookies. nuff said.
- reset last read pointers on category level was resetting all pointers.
[edited by: Brett_Tabke at 6:28 pm (utc) on June 2, 2002]
a) it is probably best if you use the "show cookies [webmasterworld.com]" link and then select 'delete all cookies' (twice). Exit your browser, restart, and relogin. That will zap all old cookies. (I almost forced this as an option, but I figure there are too many people who don't know their password any more - that would cause heavy member support work).
b) the fun stuff is on your profile.
c) the other fun stuff is on your "skin/theme" (go to profile, click edit).
404's? Where? There's another thread for bug reports here. (big thanks)
What are you seeing Europeforvisitors? The default color scheme should be 100% exact to the old one. I quick logged in as you to double check, and I can't see anything out of the ordinary.
[edited by: Brett_Tabke at 7:09 pm (utc) on June 2, 2002]
- Zoom....fonts - small medium and large on posts.
- Vacation message.
- Draft storage.
- tip of the day feature.
- admin: Bulk send stickymail to all members.
- admin ability to edit any and all email lists.
- Automatically add user to address book after send.
- admin: Put in max number of messages per hour to stop spammers.
- Category descriptions. So that only categories show and then click to sub-cats.
- admin: create and auto archive creator for admin section.
- admin: backup system on admin to backup all new from a date...
- pure text mode.
- sound for "you have mail"?
- twit lists? Easy to filter out in Discussion.cgi. Would need to account for first message scenario.
- put an option in for forum drop down on each post.
- member site list.
- skin: User editable strings for the UI.
- subscriptions: You will have much more control as to how you monitor threads, even if you did not start the thread.
- Spell Checker? finish /spellcheck.cgi
- popware: Pop-up on mouse-over to display definitions of words and terms.
- Forum dealing with a specific company (such as search engines) will have links to open that site or perform a search directly from the Forum pages.
- Enable ThreadRank.
- Language file for strings.
- Support Forums - branded forums for specific products.
- More Check boxes to turn on/off parts of the display (profile links, edit links, bottom memu bar...etc)
- translation files for all text on the board.
- Multi Subcategories: Operating systems (mac, windows, unix).
- Multi Subcategory enable disable.
- Collapse categories into smaller bits.
- category active lists. Linked from the cate description.
- number of post allowed per number of days. To remove a quota, set both to 0.
- Auto Reply: I'll be away from this date:through this date:Message Sent:
Of all the new stuff tested so far one thing sticks out for me: notes to self. Used to send stickies to self - this is much better.
Only one thing I'm not happy with: on longer threads I miss the option to go to last post directly, without changing the order from oldest post first, and without setting autosplit to 100 or so. OTOH - with the speed now this is probably what I'm going to do.
Great job Brett!