Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 18.104.22.168
Forum Moderators: open
- Email reply and post notifications will now be cron driven with email going out every 15 minutes instead of after the post. This should help enormously with the double reply problem we get during peak periods. It is usually caused by someone's email timing out from unknown hosts and such.
- It will now use a members profile listed email address to mail the notifications instead of one embedded in the post - whew. That should cut down on the massive (200+) bounces a day we get. It will also mean members can update their email address. (before it was embedded in the post itself at the time they chose to "do you want an email notification of replies").
- As part of the StickyMail upgrade (dec 1), members will have a "subscription list" on StickyMail where you can manage what forums you are subscribed too for email notifications.
- Members can Opt to receive one composite notification for the whole day, or whenever there is a new reply or post.
- Members may can get the notifications in StickyMail instead of email.
Any requests that deal with email notifications? Now would be the time. I've designed the new system for the long haul and I don't foresee changing it for another year or more.
Regarding notices sent to the email address in the profile, what if mail starts bouncing back from that address because it's no longer valid? I just changed ISPs, and if the old address were used for notifications, they'd all bounce.
I'm here every day so it's easy to remember make a change, but what if someone changes their ISP/email address or it's going to a domain email that's inactivated (hosting email alias) and the person goes away for a month vacation, not here to change their address. It seems that their mail, no longer going to a valid address, will keep on bouncing back to you. Will there be provision made for that?
joined:Nov 11, 2000
Sounds like an excellent feature, depending on how flexible it is, ie, whether it can be varied from post to post. On some posts, I want an answer right away... others aren't nearly so urgent and I might prefer not to be overwhelmed by a bunch of messages. On others, I might prefer sticky-mail to regular email. Will these features be on a thread by thread basis?
A very nice feature, if you can pull it off, would be the ability to change preferences on a thread after initial posting. Sometimes a discussion gets too popular or goes off-topic and I wish I could turn it off, or at least slow it down.
Also, and I'm dreaming here... but you asked... it would be great to have a suspend and summarize function (for vacations or busy times), where I could hold off all emails, but log on later and get a sticky-mail activity summary covering the time I've been away... and again, be able to turn this on some time after the initial posting. This particular feature might be global, for all of my notification activity. In turning it off, I'd probably want to revert back to initial settings.