Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 22.214.171.124
Forum Moderators: open
Even if I'm completely wrong (and I'm sure some of the "old-timers" here will be able to correct a WebmasterWorld newbie like me), it seems a good time anyway to say congratulations to the administrators, the moderators, and especially Brett for making WebmasterWorld the greatest professional webmaster forum by a long margin.
This place is truly in a class of its own.
In any case, seems as if I've been a lurker here, and a member, and at last a subscriber for about those 5 years. It's a truly outstanding place!
Congratulations, Brett, Hawkgirl, and all the mods current and past. You are who make WebmasterWorld the top of the line, quality place it is today.
Whatever the exact details, I just feel that this is something worth celebrating! (And hey, 20 years is even more of a reason to celebrate!)
Yes, there is a continuity from then until now.
- 84-88 single line commodore based bbs's.
- 88-89 2 line commercial bbs.
- 90-91 single line bbs again.
- 92-96 sysop of 64 line support bbs for major computer manufacturer.
- 96 first "web bbs" went up on old isp site.
- 97 first bbs went up on searchengineworld.com
- late 98 lost domain after registrar failed to auto renew domain.
- 99 started registered webmasterworld.
- 99 got searchengineworld back and started with this software base.
- 2000 moved the rebuilt forums (called WebmasterWorld, over to this domain).
Congrats to Brett, the current and past admins & mods and all others who have contributed to WebmasterWorld.
My first BBS was started mid sept 1984.
A bit off topic, but can't resist this:
Ho boy! Were'nt those the days - PCs running Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz over DOS, 256 KB of RAM and whooping 360KB Floppy Drives!
I'm coming up on year 3 here, and I must say that I love this place :P
I too ran dialup BBSes, and I'm very curious if you could recount for us the BBS software you used? (Wildcat, PCBoard, WWIV, QBBS... Celerity? :)
64k CBM 64 at 1mhz with 170k floppy drive that took 4-5minutes to load a single 32k file. That was an upgrade from the dual cassette we had the previous year.
Funny thing though, those 64 based bbs's could usually blow the doors off the PC based bbs's.
I'll never forget the elation at getting that software based 300 baud modem to crank up to a staggering 450 bps.