Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 18.104.22.168
while working on the link development i felt that there is still a potential for the niche business directory (obviosly to give quality service & content but not free like DMOZ). I am looking to start up a great quality business directory
1. where you just not only list your business free to start with but can also publish your company profile.
3. Setting the limit the number of companies can be listed in a particular category (i.e. 300 ) otherwise suggesting the new similar categories to make the navigation easy and user friendly.
4. The submission will be submitted after review by the directory editors.
5. There will be free lsting and paid listing. The free liting will be included without a website link but free trade enquiry forwarding service will be included.
6. What do u think the future in respect to the SERPS and commercial POINT OF VIEW?
7. The Concept behind it is very basic and simple giving the quality results for the visitors by including only the quaity companies / websites.
Looking forward for your brainstorming
The only way, the ONLY way this is going to work, is if you already have a reputation as a top industry expert, and people in the industry will come to the site to gain the benefit of your unique authoritative knowledge. But if you had that, you wouldn't be thinking about running such an "easy" project. In fact, that fact alone should have set you back. The VALID authority sites aren't "easy" to make -- they are so DIFFICULT that the average person couldn't create them at all. Look for something that most people would find "off-the-scale impossible", and that even an expert would find "hard" -- and then you'll have a business model, not just a me-too directory.
[edited by: skibum at 4:18 am (utc) on April 20, 2006]
I understand that you are a directory editor and understand this model (SCAM) very well.
But what we are looking is a not just a simple directory where you submit title, desc, category website link and reciprocal link.
We actually want to focus B2B businesses (not like every second web directory). The target audiences will be manufacturers, suppliers, importers, exporters, traders etc. who have got little or no exposure on the internet or it can be a marketplace for buyers and sellers.
I know there might other players in the market but not many.
There may be following feature of our business model
1. Target only businesses B2B (suppliers, manufacturers, service providers, exporters etc) no B2C or C2C
2. Two areas of business one will be publishing the profile, services / products etc. and publishing the buying / selling leads
3. Enquiry forwarding service to the buyers / sellers.
4. Leads will be removed after the expiry dates
5. Free subscription of the leads to the buyers / sellers of their chosen products / services.
looking for more inputs from Experts?
The ODP gets lots of spammy submittals for these sites, because (like other spam sites) they tend to look for outside links aggressively -- usually from each other, and from other free-for-all link farms -- and I've found they usually don't like the ODP. Because the ODP does a pretty good job of NOT linking to them. Because, DOH! who in their right mind would link to them?
But link popularity is only symptomatic of the REAL problem. Unless you have world-class expertise in a particular niche, you're facing the fundamental problem of trying to establish a business that EVERYONE ON EARTH -- competitors, buyers, and sellers alike -- is better off without. The quicker each one dies, the quicker the poor victims who are just trying to make contacts can move on to some more comprehensive electronic bazaar. A sustainable business model simply won't exist. It's just a short-term scam.
Leave the "easy" stuff to easy marks. Find something difficult to do, and do it well.
joined:Apr 19, 2006
Sorry to put a downer on your idea, but supplier, trader and manufacturing directories/search is well taken care of and established and run by real mega money players. For example - Kellysearch.com (a Reed Business Co) rules the manufacturing and industrial niches (and many others too). No point in taking them on, as they are too big and powerful.
Anything you can think of, chances are it's been created already to such a level, it's insane to think you'll make a million with it. Reality bites and it's very real and scary. You will thank me for this one day!
joined:Apr 19, 2006