Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 126.96.36.199
Forum Moderators: martinibuster
joined:Sept 1, 2000
1.How to incorporate a directory style links section into a site. - ken_b
2.How to best feed appropriate traffic to that directory. - ken_b
3.How to feed traffic from that directory to my own site if I believe I have the relevant info available. - ken_b
Pardo started us on the road to the directory discussion with, best linking structure for a directory [webmasterworld.com]. Iíd like to talk about building a directory from research on to execution, ok? Letís start with any other specific questions or interests, ideas which will help me put a post together, as well as other members who want to share their ideas and experience.
What makes a good links directory page? It should be easy to find, have a purpose, and be easy to navigate. My links page was built solely - and I freely admit it - to build PR. I rationalize the effort by telling myself my page visitors will be impressed with my site, once they see what else is out there....
Here's what I came up with.
1) Define & delineate your link exchange policy, ask potential linkers to read before requesting a reciprocal link (RL). For example mine included a RL policy and links had to pertain to a specific subject matter.
2) Home page link to my links directory (LD) page - and linked back again to the home page.
3) Brief introduction at top of LD page stating it's purpose - "to assist visitors of our site find info..."
4) Highlighted "premium" links at top of page, with text description describing site. With this spot I'll target 1) sites I really like, or 2) sites with high PR.
5) Indexed category tables followed by alphabetized text links (no site description - I went away from site descriptions because they all say essentially the same thing - and don't add anything which can't be derived from the table header. However this is the one area I'm considering revising - to permit sites to include a brief description)
6) no banners - no exceptions - everybodies treated the same
7) "contact us for a link exchange review" - e-mail link.
The link requests are coming steadily - and it's the off-season for me. I'm trying to limit the page to around 100 links, so only swap links with "quality" sites. I still search for good links - but since building this page my reciprocal linking research time has been drastically reduced.
I have a question:
1) It's been two google deep scans (7 months)... and several sites don't show up as linking to me. I coveted these particular links because of their high PR. Any ideas why they don't show up as a site link?