Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 184.108.40.206
Forum Moderators: open
I've got a MySQL table with about 1200 records that I'm putting into a multi select box. It works fine in IE6 and NS6, but when I load the page in Opera 7.11, only the first 749 records show up in the select and the rest of the page doesn't load. So, that's bad enough but it gets stranger. When I limit my sql to 844 records (using "limit 1, 844") the select box has all 844 records and the page renders completely. But as soon as the limit is greater than 844, I'm back to seeing only the first 749 and the incomplete rendering of the page. All of the variations I've tried work fine in IE and NS.
Has anybody run into anything like this? Any suggestions as to how to get around it? I can always require IE or NS to view the page, but that's a last resort.
That is a lot of records to be loading into one page. Almost sounds like opera is having a problem with the amount of data. Like there is a max size for either the box or the page.
I assume there is no way to break up the amount of data you are returning. That sounds like it would be fairly slow and difficult to sort through for the user(as it is for opera ;)).
It seems clear to me that coding a browser means making some trade-offs, and one of the trade-offs is assuming limits and writing them into the browser code to keep everything working well and coordinated in 99.99% of the situations.
I think Nick's approach of "first 100, next 100" might work out nicely with a double select box. Choose the range in a first box and use that range to populate the second. Of course, you'll still be limited to 74,900 choices ;)