Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from

Forum Moderators: bill

Message Too Old, No Replies

Setting up a HUB

home network hub

12:58 am on Feb 4, 2005 (gmt 0)

New User

10+ Year Member

joined:Dec 6, 2003
votes: 0


I was hoping someone can help me out. I just got a new desktop (whoo hoo), and I want to transfer my files from my existing desktop to my new one.

I know I need a hub, but I'm not sure of how to set it up.

Currently we have a D-Link Router (AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless Router) between my desktop and my wife's laptop. But I'm not sure if I could use this for my purposes, or if I need something else.

My desktop is running Windows2000 Professional and the new PC has Windows XP.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

2:09 am on Feb 4, 2005 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member jdmorgan is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member

joined:Mar 31, 2002
votes: 0

If you've got a router, you don't need a hub.

Just set up the networking on each machine so that they can 'see' each other -- The Network setup wizard will walk you through most of this. On XP, the path is: Start->Control Panel->Network Setup Wizard.


2:13 am on Feb 4, 2005 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

joined:June 18, 2003
votes: 0

You sure can use your existing router if you have unused ports.

  1. Connect your new computer to the router
  2. Setup home networking thru your new computer (Start -> Settings -> Network Connection -> Network Setup Wizard)
  3. Share the folder on your old computer than you want to copy
  4. On your new computer go to Network Places -> OldComputerName -> FolderName
  5. Copy files
5:49 pm on Feb 14, 2005 (gmt 0)

Preferred Member

10+ Year Member

joined:May 4, 2004
votes: 0

Just as an addition, you can also use a crossover cable connected directly between the two computers. But, if you already have the router, that'd be easier. Or, at least, the cables would be easier to find.
4:22 am on Feb 15, 2005 (gmt 0)

Senior Member

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

joined:Apr 19, 2003
votes: 0

Actually, Best Buy stores and Radio Shacks all have crossover cables. However, it's cheaper to order them shipped next day air from newegg than it is to buy them at one of the stores.