Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 18.104.22.168
Forum Moderators: rogerd
This causes a couple of problems:
1) Forum posters ignore the ads
2) The lurkers are chewing my bandwidth
The main site makes 95% of the revenue and the forum just the other 5%, now while its nice to have a popular message board site revenue will drop if people don't return to it. Its not just a monetary issue, I'd like to see more people back in the main site anyway and am not sure how to get them there. It ranks pretty well so I get new visitors but I'd like to push a few of the old ones back in that direction!
Have tried a couple of tactics such as posting 'stickys' to main pages and linking to relevant stuff when people ask the question.
Anybody else having this or have found the perfect balance?
Was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their own sites and forums and how they dealt with it.
I've been debating setting up a forum on my site for years now. Just when I think I'll go for it someone reminds me why I hesitate.
I suggest you just place more adverts on your forum, maybe even portal your forum so you have a menu down the side that incorporates adverts, as well as adverts at the top/bottom of the page. :)
My take is grin and bear it, and try to monetize the forum a bit better.
-Encapsulate your forum into your main site. So for example instead of having ur forums fill the whole window, maybe try framing them.. so you can put either Ads or links INTO your site on top
-Discuss other aspects of the site/refer to them more via the forum
-Highlight aspects of your site in ur SIG.
-I am sure there are advertisment hacks for your forum's script -- advertise ur own site just to dispurse people..
-Tell people if they dont make you money you will hunt htem down and take it from them directly.
-just kidding =)
I have been thinking about redesigning the layout to integrate with the main site a bit better, but its such a big job and I'm not really a phpBB guru so keep putting it off.
so u could easily build a simple frame setup that has links on the left, then ur forum on the right... its not as nice, but it would get the job done.. OR if the main intrest is getting monye.. just put ads there