Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 18.104.22.168
Forum Moderators: open
1) Don't address someone else's list (e.g., don't say "Hey, it's not true that..." or "Your fear is stupid because..."). Instead, simply include a broad rebuttal statement if accurate.
2) Don't let ANY one point exceed 80 characters :D
3) You don't have to include stuff in all sections.
Okay... here we go! I'll start with a list of what I understand to be collective hopes and fears, not just what my personal feelings are. You're welcome to do the same.
- Replaces my need for other mail software / services.
- Allows me to save time with all e-mail tasks.
- Lets me find any mail(s) easily and quickly.
- Gmail is released as soon as possible for the public.
FEARS OR CONCERNS:
- Content scanning for profit is unethical.
- Gmail creates slippery slope which other companies may exploit.
- Large data pool per customer encourages snooping (anti-terror, subpoenas, etc.)
- Uncertainty of what happens to data or policies in the future.
- Ads showing next to my newsletters will harm my business.
- Content scanning for profit is no different than spam/virus scanning.
- Ad targeting data is discarded after ad is shown.
- E-mail is insecure by nature anyway; Want privacy? Use encryption.
- Google has been a responsible company in the past.
- ALL terms/policies with services are "subject to change."
- Your ads will show next to others' newsletters; it all balances out.
Your turn :)
- google can effectively eliminate or greatly reduce spam
- google will properly market gmail for what it really is (grand monetization scheme based on your personal content) ;) ... and not just big storage/low spam/searchable email.
fear or concerns:
- ads shown for content I created are monetized without any royalties paid to me
- no way to opt-out for emails sent to gmail users from being archived or monetized
- no control of when email will actually be deleted from google's servers