Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 22.214.171.124
Needless to say, I moved quickly to turn it off and disconnect it from the power.
We have smoke detectors in the house, none of which reacted to the initial smoke. Oh, and yes, they do work. Perhaps I caught it soon enough.
What concerned me is that we often have the TV on while watching from the other room/s doing chores, etc. Had we been out of the room, I dread to think how it may have gone.
We'll be more careful in future.
Watching my CRT TV (15 years old) the other day and I noticed smoke coming out of the back, along with an unpleasant smell of overheating electronic components.
I have had this happen to me twice, once with a CRT computer monitor and once with a CRT television.
Not to sure if it would actaully burst into flames because like you I jumped up and unpluged it.
A $2.00 bag of dirt and mulch caused $28K in damage.
My gardening Shed spontaneously combusted.. seriously. A very small bag (less than two gallons) of potting spoil burst into flames because some water seeped into it during a rainstorm, then caught the rubbermaid little outdoor shed on fire melting it into a huge puck of plastic. Then to top it all off... it caught the grass in the backyard on fire which then burned underneath our pool filter, pump and heater melting all the wiring and pvc pipes caught the filter housing on fire and flamed up scorching our brick and smoke damaging the eves of the house. A $2.00 bag of dirt and mulch caused $28K in damage. The fire inspector said that the bag had probably been smoldering for days!