Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from

Forum Moderators: incrediBILL & lawman

Message Too Old, No Replies

British Better Business Bureau



3:05 pm on Mar 13, 2007 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

Is there an equivalent in Britain to the US Better Business Bureau? Or something that would "motivate" a shoddy merchant to accept returns that were not as ordered?



5:03 pm on Mar 13, 2007 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

You want the Office of Fair Trading [oft.gov.uk] or Trading Standards [tradingstandards.gov.uk].

I anticipate that the latter will be your best bet.



5:18 pm on Mar 13, 2007 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

Perfect, thanks! And merchants are "scared" of these Offices? As in it might help to convince them to do the right thing?


6:12 pm on Mar 13, 2007 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Administrator engine is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 10+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

Let's put it this way, Trading Standards can take businesses to court when they are proven to be failing in their duty, or proven to be "ripping people off."

Remember, however, there needs to be enough evidence, and complaints, for them to take it to task.

Are they scared of them? I can't say that some of the low life businesses are scared, however, a genuine business ought to be.


9:08 pm on Mar 13, 2007 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

Thanks for the help! I've disputed charges with the CC company, and also told them if they don't respond (they've blocked my email address) within 48 hours I will contact Trading Standards in East Sussex.

Appreciate the responses!


6:57 pm on Mar 15, 2007 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

CC meaning Credit Card? If so, you may also find the UK's FSA (Financial Services Authority) a useful point of call. Never sure of the linking rules here, but it's the number one site if you Google those terms.


6:59 pm on Mar 15, 2007 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

Ignore me, I understand why you mentioned your CC charges now.

Featured Threads

Hot Threads This Week

Hot Threads This Month