Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 126.96.36.199
Forum Moderators: buckworks
Can anyone clearly explain to me when you DO have to charge sales tax by the county / locale of where the package is being shipped /andor/ billed to?
I've read people say that if my nexus is in city/county X in california, but I ship to city/county Y in california I have to charge the sales tax rate of city/county Y...
joined:Dec 10, 2005
A single "rep" located in CA doesn't establish nexus.
How do I know if I am required to report and pay the district tax for special taxing jurisdictions described above?
As a seller, you must report and pay the district sales tax (called a transactions tax) or use tax on your taxable sales and leases if you:
• Have a business location or are engaged in business within the district,
• Lease tangible personal property that is used in the district, or
• Sell or lease vehicles, undocumented vessels, or aircraft that will be registered in the
You are engaged in business in a district if you are a retailer who:
• Maintains, occupies, or uses any type of office, sales room, warehouse, or other place of business in the district,
even if it is used temporarily, indirectly, or through an agent, or
• Has any kind of representative operating in the district for the purpose of making sales, making deliveries, or
taking orders, or
• Receives rental income from leases of tangible personal property located in the district.
If your sales or leases are not subject to a special district tax, you should report tax at the statewide base rate, which
is currently 8.25 percent.
joined:Dec 10, 2005
if they don't even know what the right thing to do is,...
...the only link they have to the state is a "sales rep" that works/lives in cali. ...
...You are engaged in business in a district if you are a retailer who:
.... Has any kind of representative operating in the district for the purpose of making sales, making deliveries, or
taking orders ....