Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 126.96.36.199
Forum Moderators: buckworks
Can anyone clearly explain to me when you DO have to charge sales tax by the county / locale of where the package is being shipped /andor/ billed to?
I've read people say that if my nexus is in city/county X in california, but I ship to city/county Y in california I have to charge the sales tax rate of city/county Y...
A single "rep" located in CA doesn't establish nexus.
How do I know if I am required to report and pay the district tax for special taxing jurisdictions described above?
As a seller, you must report and pay the district sales tax (called a transactions tax) or use tax on your taxable sales and leases if you:
• Have a business location or are engaged in business within the district,
• Lease tangible personal property that is used in the district, or
• Sell or lease vehicles, undocumented vessels, or aircraft that will be registered in the
You are engaged in business in a district if you are a retailer who:
• Maintains, occupies, or uses any type of office, sales room, warehouse, or other place of business in the district,
even if it is used temporarily, indirectly, or through an agent, or
• Has any kind of representative operating in the district for the purpose of making sales, making deliveries, or
taking orders, or
• Receives rental income from leases of tangible personal property located in the district.
If your sales or leases are not subject to a special district tax, you should report tax at the statewide base rate, which
is currently 8.25 percent.
if they don't even know what the right thing to do is,...
...the only link they have to the state is a "sales rep" that works/lives in cali. ...
...You are engaged in business in a district if you are a retailer who:
.... Has any kind of representative operating in the district for the purpose of making sales, making deliveries, or
taking orders ....