Yesterday I got a call from the police. Somebody had filed a criminal complaint. Allegedly someone had used a persons name and bank account information to order at my shop in this persons name. The police officer said he would fax me the details and if I could provide more information about the order.
So I waited for the fax and when I checked the information I could not help myself but burst out in laughter. Turned out that the following happened:
1. An order is placed in my shop. Small amount, below 100 EUR. Direct debit payment.
2. Credit check reveals nothing negative.
3. Order is sent out to the shipping address which also was the billing address.
4. Payment bounces because of insufficent fund on the bank account.
5. I send three dunning letters and after there is no response I apply for a court order for payment.
6. Guy walks to the police and claims that he never ordered and did not receive anything and someone else must have used his name.
Now the guy made one mistake. He was not at home at the time of delivery. So he had to pick up the parcel at the post office. So I checked the Tracking information and there is not only a digital copy of the signature but also the following information: Picked up personally. Identity confirmed by identity card.
So the guy had picked up the parcel by showing his identity card at the post office and confirming the receipt with his signature. I guess he had no idea that this information is actually passed on to me.
So I sent the police office the details of the order, copies of the dunning letters, copies of the signature and the information that the ID had been confirmed by the post office clerk.
When I checked my bank account this morning the money was already on my bank account.
I wonder what the police did to the guy to make him pay so quickly.