Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 22.214.171.124
Forum Moderators: buckworks
So now I need to find a new ecommerce platform for this small to medium-sized client that carries about 3,000 skus.
I have been researching and contacting some vendors. What would you say are the most important things to consider and ask when talking to ecommerce solution vendors? What would you ask?
I am not interested so much in features, but how to spot a good system? if it's reliable? scalable? etc...
Thanks so much,
1. Is it robust - does it have out of the box support for catalog management. Can you easily import, price, inventory & manage items?
2. Is it fast - does it offer good performance, reliability and scale well.
3. Is it standards driven - CSS/easy to modify templates.
4. Is the developer base strong - can you extend it - if not, is it actively maintained & supported.
5. Security/compliance/patching - does the developer have the resources to fix issues?
6. Does it have search capabilities, parametric filtering, strong taxonomy configurations?
What is your store? Simple widgets with 4-5 bullet point configurations or is it items that people look for that match specific features/components/configurations? Do you track inventory? do you need to import supplier catalogs?
The store requires more than 5 bullet points. We need to show description and specifications of the products.
No need to import vendor catalog.
Yes, we would like to manage inventory also.
Store now has about 150 orders a day. We would like something that will work even with we have 300 orders a day or more.
Any other suggestions any one might think of?
I am not sure what are the current players in the ecommerce platform industry for medium size retailers. Would you consider this a small or medium size internet retailer?
150 a day
Thanks so much
I also thought about just getting someone that knows a lot of oscommerce and set it up for us. I'm just afraid that going with a free/open source solution is not a good recommendation for my client.
He is expecting one product that will handle all our needs.