Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from

Forum Moderators: buckworks

Message Too Old, No Replies

Your advice on US incorporation needed

will it be enough to open a full-fledged merchant account?



1:36 pm on Apr 15, 2007 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

Just today I have found several online companies offering US incorporation for something like $600-$700. They claim it all can be done online. Ideally, I would like to open a US merchant account - is the incorporation all I need? I also have a US personal checking account, does this help?

Thank you for your replies!


1:53 pm on Apr 15, 2007 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

In my experience it won't be enough. The issue is not so much with bank accounts etc (although this too might be a problem), but more with US Credit. If you don't have a good credit report in the states it's much harder to get a full fledged merchant account. In essence there's a lot of money being floated around here, so they want to make sure that everyone is good for it.

You didn't mention where you're located, but in the UK you might try World Pay - there's also Chrono Pay I think, as well as Easy Chex.


6:44 pm on Apr 15, 2007 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member 10+ Year Member

There is no such thing as US incorporation. Incorporation is done at the state level. And some states have far better reputations than others.

Actually incorporation is a minor part of the equation. Don't think that you'll incorporate in Nevada or Utah and then get a merchant account automatically without supplying other info. Incorporating in a stinky state will actually hurt your credit.

I also have a US personal checking account, does this help?

Same thing. Won't help if you opened it with $20 last week.


1:13 am on Apr 16, 2007 (gmt 0)

10+ Year Member

A little off topic but be sure to use an attorney when incorporating and don't use those online services - now that my business is large I wish I had used an attorney when I incorporated serveral years ago. Don't do yourself or with a cheap online service. If you can afford it use an attorney...


9:16 am on Apr 16, 2007 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

That's sad news. I wish there was a way to accept cc online withouth using third party processors with their imposed limitations, *sigh*. And am not that big to afford a lawyer.


3:51 pm on Apr 16, 2007 (gmt 0)

WebmasterWorld Senior Member bwnbwn is a WebmasterWorld Top Contributor of All Time 5+ Year Member Top Contributors Of The Month

Are you from another country? If so

As to incorporate in the state you are doing business you either have to have someone that you can use for an address or you live in the State you are wanting to set the business up in.

If you can meet the above yes you can do it online very easy. I registered my business online as well as set up another business in another state online.

Use a lawyer if you want to but all you need is to ask an accountant what way is best as far as taxes to set the corp up and save yourself thousnads...


10:50 am on Apr 17, 2007 (gmt 0)

5+ Year Member

Yes, I am not from US.

What good is the incorporation for then? By that I mean if it is readily available online, I might use it to obtain various verification seals, etc.

Or should I stay clear of it because it will entail taxes, accounts, which is the last thing I want to deal with.