Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 220.127.116.11
1. Should I submit a request on DMOZ to update the link, or just be happy with the one I have?
2. How long does it usually take for the editors to update the domain name?
3. What are the chances an editor will decide to remove the listing if I ask them to update the domain?
2. Update requests are prominent and most editors give them priority. In the nation where I mainly work, most are handled within 24 hours.
3. The website will be re-evaluated. Assuming that it's still listable, there's no reason to delete it. If it's scope has changed, it might be moved to a more appropriate category though.
If you went to olddomain.com, you would see the same web site as if you went to newdomain.com because they are both hosted under the same account and on the same server. Do I still need to redirect olddomain.com to newdomain.com, or is the current setup adequate?
HOWEVER, the way you have it set it up will run the risk of a duplicate content filter by Google --- ie as the content is available on both domains, Google does not want to index two copies of the same site.
Suggest you do a 301 redirect from the old domain to the new -- DMOZ will then change the url and google won't penalize you.
Without that policy, any miscreant could put up a mirror of your site, hijack your ODP listing and replace the content with his own later.
Yes it has been attempted.
joined:Nov 11, 2000
But it doesn't use a 301 redirect (not sure how those work).
If you went to olddomain.com, you would see the same web site as if you went to newdomain.com because they are both hosted under the same account and on the same server.
subgenius - Quite apart from DMOZ, this is not a good situation. Depending on what type of server you have (Apache or Microsoft), you should check out the appropriate forum on WebmasterWorld and do some reading. You don't want to have the same content on two different domains. It's treated as duplicate content by the search engines, and can lead to some difficult indexing problems.
Webwork / Directory Forum Co-Moderator
[edited by: Webwork at 12:31 pm (utc) on June 15, 2008]