First off, I apologize if this is the wrong place for this post. If so, let me know and I'll move it.
I'd like to set up on my Mac a copy of my existing WordPress site so I can work on it without crashing the live one. ;-)
I don't have background in this stuff but have found instructions and gotten some support at my wp theme site. However I just can't make it work. Here's what I've done:
1. I backed up my complete site files to my desktop.
2. I installed MAMP.
3. I created a database with the same name as my live site's database.
4. I imported the existing table data into this new MAMP database.
5. I opened the wp-config.php file and made sure that database name, username and password were all correct (db=my just created db name which is same as for my live site; un=root, pw=root and host is set to localhost).
6. I place all my backed up files (WordPress files and my theme files in wp-content) into a folder that I call mysitelocal. Then I put this folder into the htdocs folder within the MAMP folder.
7. I open my browser and type [localhost:8888
...] and am taken to the homepage of my site.
8. However, when I add the /wp-admin or wp-login.php, I am redirected to the live site WP login page.
9. ALSO, when at the homepage on my localhost, if I click to go to an interior page, I'm also redirected to my actual site.
I have been trying all sorts of fixes with the help of my Theme support site. I have read the wp codex for moving a wp site, changing the url (which, even though I followed it to a T, disabled the local server) and more.
I just reinstalled MAMP to start over, and still can't get to the point where my entire site is available locally PLUS I'm able to login to WP locally and edit.
Can anyone help out? I'm a novice at all of this so please provide specific steps if you can.
Thanks so much.