Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 126.96.36.199
I need your help. Can you make or show me a script for a booking form.
And here is the general idea of what's meant to be in this script:
When the user clicks the submit button the CGI program checks that amongst other things:
- No booking for more than 12 people may be made
- Bookings may only be made for the following month
- Bookings of children only are not acceptable.
- Only VISA credit cards are accepted.
- The card holders name should be potentially viable.
- The credit card number should be potentially viable.
- The card expiry date should be potentially viable.
- The script calculates and displays the total fee that is payable.
- Save each valid booking record as a series of fields (even if empty) separated by colons (:) as the
- Separate each record in the database by an EOL
- Prepares an email to send to the person making the reservation
Thank you so much for any help. I probably won't be able to post for a soon since I'll be on a plane in 2 hours or so.
[edited by: phranque at 1:52 pm (utc) on Feb. 7, 2009]
[edit reason] No urls, please. See TOS [webmasterworld.com] [/edit]
- Do you have the skills to program such a system?
- Managing credit card info is dangerous waters, are all of the following true or do you understand their implications?
- Form processed on a PCI compiant server?
- If not, SSL cert installed, data passed to a credit card processor?
- I certainly hope this data is not to be emailed to the client or stored on the server, if so, are you familiar with a) the implementation of GPG/PGP keys and installing them on both ends of the connection (server and recipient email client) or b) the liability issues this presents for the client?
As you can see, the larger problem with your project is not one of implementation, it's one of security.
What about the other students? Is this assignment so completely over everyone's head, or is it just you who's behind on the basics?
As rocknbill pointed out, there are so many issues here. Just because it's a school assignment and not a real-world project doesn't mean you can ignore them.
Sorry to be so brutal, but using an existing script or having someone code your assignment for you is not the way to learn the material.
I've done basic perl programming and some web development already (which I would consider very basic) and basically I need a script that can fit the specifications above (html side of things is already covered) since I don't have the time to be writing it up. I barely have enough time to write this post up tbh. :p
Also it won't necessarily be an actual website for all to see and as for security, only sanity check is needed for name, email and credit card as well as the ability to send an email to confirm fake booking.
Afterwards I'd make any changes to match my needs if needs be.
Unfortunately an extension is out of the question no matter the reason. Way of life it seems.
Anyway thank you for your time.
Well that's very different . . . lol . . . however if you had considered the security issues I imagine your instructor would be pleasantly pleased. :-)
There's a lot here, no immediate script comes to mind but it wouldn't be all that difficult to program . . . i suggest installing perl on your laptop and taking it with you on the flight. You won't have Internet access, but you can work out the logic and debug it, then hit an access point when you touch down, upload and test. Good luck.