Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 22.214.171.124
I just did the first back-up download of my shared hosting account. I extracted the files, but when I want to view the html-files with the html-editor that I orginally used to create the design I just see a big mess (lots of 0's and other strange things that dont belong in there, and no spaces whatsoever).
If I open them with another application I found on my PC (which I didnt intend to use for this) it's all fine, though. I assume this just means that the editor I'm using sucks and I should get a new one? I'm really just asking, because I'm wondering how come this happens (maybe Im making a mistake and Im just lucky that the other application can read it properly)?
My first reaction to the problem was that the code had been run through some kind of file compression program to remove redundant blank characters and explicitly code the blanks that should be there with their ASCII values.
If you are looking at code in the "other" application I would guess that it is designed to interpret the tags and lay them out for editing in a structured manner.
Without a lot more detail this is all guess work of course.
The thing is, I had this problem before when downloading an .html file from my host. And back then windows did not suggest I could use this application (I have no idea why it does, now, I just realized!)..so I was thinking...great...I have to do a copy and paste for every html-file, I have to download.
What you say about ASCII values (I have no idea what that is!) sounds interesting: When I open the html file on my hosting account at the left/top of the editor it says: asc-ii and to the right there's an "open" button, I think. I can switch from asc-ii to other ..such things (codes?)... I just did that and in the editor on my hosting account nothing happens (the html-code still looks normal).
Do I have to switch from asc-ii to something else and then save it on my hosting account using something other than asc-ii?
Sorry for the vague description before!
(lots of 0's and other strange things that dont belong in there, and no spaces whatsoever
I thought at first this was an encoding issue (which I'm not equipped to assist) but it indeed sounds like one I'm familiar with.
PC and Unix have different end of line characters. I experienced this early on in perl programming. A NotePad script, on some servers, will error, but if saved from an editor that understands Unix text files, it will run fine.
When you download these files, it's likely they are in Unix format. When you open them in a PC editor such as Notepad, it's a mess with a bunch of square boxes where carriage returns should be, and it's lost all formatting. Open it in a Unix-compatible text editor and it's all fine.
The only solid solution if this is the case is to stick with an editor that supports Unix text files - I use HomeSite, but it was eliminated when Adobe bought out MM. There are many others out there.