Welcome to WebmasterWorld Guest from 220.127.116.11
Forum Moderators: travelin cat
So, Leopard is OS X 10.5.something ...
As far as Anti-virus goes:
- There are only very few viruses and other malware against the mac out in the wild, none of them anywhere near widespread.
- Despite what apple fanboys would like you to believe there is no magic shield that prevents macs from being targeted, but they aren't. As long as the success rates of malware authors are sufficient in the windows world, my guess is that's where they'll stay and play.
- Most Anti Virus software I've looked at on the mac is mainly trying to protect windows users (due to the lack of Mac specific threats)
- Being ready to deploy an Anti-Virus solution on your macs is a smart thing to do shoudl there be an outbreak someday
- Snow Leopard gets some ability from apple to thwart a few Trojan horses targeting macs, probably enough for now.
So instead of investing in something (even time), I'd go for snow lepard instead. It'll be enough for now and if and when the thread changes you'll hopefully have time to react.
From a recent article in the NYT about Mac security:
At a minimum, choose “allow only essential services.” A better option is to select “set access for specific services and applications” and play gatekeeper, allowing programs to connect as you need them, said Rich Mogull, founder of the security consultant firm Securosis.
As long as the success rates of malware authors are sufficient in the windows world, my guess is that's where they'll stay and play.
There's always a bigger field to play on. I don't think malware authors will stay contempt with windows, once macs reach a certain market share.
It's all about the numbers, if you can infect 1000 computers with a software you write, it's probably not worth it. that was the case with the macs before they became really popular in the consumer market (which is, also, usually the "target audience" for malware).
the first attacks have surfaced, my guess is we'll see more pretty soon, but I agree with your opinion that there is not that big a threat right now.